Is height a factor on the doors?

wla88

Hi guys I've been thinking about doing my door license for a while now and as I feel I have the right temperament/ qualities needed for the role I feel my height would be a factor as I'm only 5'8. I feel I would not be taken seriously and be a target for trouble. Is there any lads who are at a similar height to me that do the doors or anyone who knows someone that does.

Cheers.

You WILL be targeted by drunks due to your height.
One of the best DS I ever worked with is the same height as you though.
Size doesn't matter... its what you do with it that counts!!

Bubba

Nope I'm the same height as you however I look like a boxer/thug. IMO being polite when possible and showing a bit of professionalism and being confident in what you say and do makes all the difference.
As far as I know no one has ever targeted me because of my height.

I'm not big and I'm not tough, I'm about your height too but as noted above it's damn all to do with what size you are, if you have the right temprament you'll be fine, I did doors for years. Asking this question would worry me, never second guess yourself or have doubts buddy, if you do you're in the wrong caper and putting yourself and your collegues at risk.

Door work is not about how hard you are, there will be ejections nightly. Just look at what your buddies do.

Good luck,

Regards, 5'7 1/2 Col
;)

You WILL be targeted by drunks due to your height.
One of the best DS I ever worked with is the same height as you though.
Size doesn't matter... its what you do with it that counts!!

Bubba

Keep telling yourself that mate

In all seriousness though, the best DS I've ever worked with have all been average height, average build but great verbal skills.

The trick, as we all know, is to talk the shit out of it....if you're fighting you've lost!

Anyway, 10 average sized DS who know their stuff are better than two monsters who just wanna cause Agro.

It's ALL about the team, if the lads on shift with you will go toe to toe when it all goes sideways then that's all that matters.

I'm 6'4" btw and was always a target.

TMAC,
I'm with you, I tend to get the odd idiot chancer targeting me I'm 6'2".

What needs to be drilled into new members of a door team is we are a team and we are all in, win or lose we do it together

Regards

premier

Well I'm all of 5ft.
Whoever, you are someone will have a problem with it. If you look tough people will target you because they want to look hard in front of their mates. If you're huge people will target you for the same reason and because they expect that size is all you have going for you. If you're small or female people won't do as you say because they think you don't have the ability to force them.

For everyone that targets you because of who you are, there'll be others that avoid you because of who you are.

What counts is confidence and the ability to back it up. Always treat people fairly and people will learn to respect you. Don't use force unless it is necessary and then make sure that you know what you are doing. I was part of a team that were all small and all martial arts trained, we got plenty of trouble at first but it soon went down when people got to know that if they didn't behave they'd be leaving one way or another.

I haven't done door work before but I have worked in shopping malls and rough areas in retail. I am 6 foot 3 and size does not matter. You will be tested whether you are small or large. I have had large guys and shorter guys come up to me and try to wind me up. The job is all about your reactivity. Never appear emotionally weak. A lot of guys might borderline between banter and taking the piss and try to test you but never let it phase you. There are some guys out there who think being a doorman means being the 'hardest guy in town' this is really not true.. i think it means being the smartest though...

The one thing I sometimes have a hate for is 'shorter' guys who try to overcompensate by always taking the lead in situations. I do know my height makes some guys uncomfortable in the job and want to prove something I just wish they'd hang back and know I do not think I am a tough guy or a better security officer just because of my height..

I think an important quality also is also being humorous. Although I do not take this film as an education on door work I do like the line from Roadhouse

Be nice until it is time not to be nice - as a good starting point. I am able to de-esculate situations without going physical. Although I am big I never underestimate anyone. I once was faced with a drunk violent 5'2 guy and I did not once touch him. I used my mouth and brains to de-esculate the situation. Now I understand on door work it changes as you need to act quickly and get guys out but I think some situations you need to use your mouth and other situations you need to be more physical.

I'll tell you the secret - people will take you more seriously not about your size but your professionalism. Don't be like every young guy and turn up 'on the dot' on shift thinking your some kind of time keeping wizard. Turn up 20 minutes early for your shift smart and your shoes polished. Your appearance should be immaculate and it never should be underestimated. I make sure I do not have a single smudge on my suit. I sit there an hour before a shift picking out all of the little bits of fluff on my suit. In the past my managers have noticed these things so now i do that.

Maybe have a chat with the guys. Show respect as you are new and learning the ropes. Let them mold you and make you a better doorman from their experience. The worst thing you want is a inexperienced guy calling the shots and making decisions. This is how situations can go really wrong. This is how you earn respect. If I was to turn up to a shift and throw my weight around because I am the big guy the guys will see through that and so will the punters. For me everything starts from the mind and moves outwards.

You want to be a modest and humble guy on shift. Keep all of your past 'punch up' victories to yourself. Also never say its 'quiet tonight' and always learn from experience. After each and every shift I come home and think how i could have dealt with situations differently. Another tip is never think the same outcome will happen even if you are faced with the same situation. I think I have probably spent my entire career trying to show people that I am not just a security officer because of my height but my mind is the biggest thing about me.

Always be improving and always make sure those shoes are shining.

Last edited:
I am 5 foot 6 ( 7 with boots) :) and look like a hobbit, so no, height has nothing to do with it...

Dating taller women on the other hand, some don't mind it, others do:))

Good luck mate.

I don't think, height matters but it could be an added factor. Others are correct that confidence is very important plus the ability to do his duty properly. Training and experience are also needed as far as what I have read.

Last edited:
I'm 3'4'' and have never had a problem. Always wore a blue suit and nobody f**ks with a smurf!

I quite agree!
There's an awesome Door Supervisor in West Sussex who is one of the best I have ever seen and I'm lucky to say has become a great friend.....though I wouldn't mess with her! Her style is very chatty, maternal and humble and it really works. She difuses situations with ease and because of her height isn't seen as a threat. That said she can really hold her own if the situation escalates!

Is she hot and would you share? ;)

I quite agree!
There's an awesome Door Supervisor in West Sussex who is one of the best I have ever seen and I'm lucky to say has become a great friend.....though I wouldn't mess with her! Her style is very chatty, maternal and humble and it really works. She difuses situations with ease and because of her height isn't seen as a threat. That said she can really hold her own if the situation escalates!

Cheeky.............slightly off topic and I have no idea how to answer! I'll give it a go: Erm yes she's beautiful and she eats blokes like you for breakfast!
:)

Just reiterating what has already been said really. Some of the best guys I've worked with have been your height or less, one guy served 12 years in the Kings and was assertive / good with verbals. Another was a European Kickboxing champion, had a good rapport with a lot of the rougher element of Liverpool and just knew how to deal with people, he wasn't afraid of getting physical either and used his training well.

It's all down to you as an individual. I will say that if you aren't confident in challenging situations then this will be picked up on by people, if someone is getting in your face or you ask them to leave and they come back with the old "Make me" or "Or what?" - And you hesitate then again, they will pick up on it.

If you havn't already I'd definitely go and train in a grappling based system - Judo, Freestyle Wrestling, Sambo would be my main suggestions, will give you a lot of confidence and the skills to back it up, they lend themselves very well to the shorter guy too. If you havn't got the size, you will need skill instead.

All the best, J

Defiantly got to agree with GreenLid1 on this. Get some training under your belt, especially a grappling system and your be fine if it gets physical and you will have the confidence that goes along with that, which will ultimately help you to avoid needing to use it in the first place.

The exterior windows and doors are covered under section 1710.5 of the 2012 IBC and section R612 of the 2012 IRC. It instructs one to test the windows and sliding doors and be labeled in accordance with AAMA/WDMA/CSA 101/I.S.2/A440-11. The standard was developed jointly by the American Architectural Manufacturers Association, the Window & Door Manufacturers Association and the Canadian Standards Association. Sliding doors by their design offer convenience and style to make our homes unique. Though they are usually placed for patios https://www.clerawindows.com/blog/the-benefits-of-sliding-doors/

Hello everyone,
I think tall heighted people are quite impressive, Also we can say that there are many doors present in the market with various sizes and different patterns you can. Also you can check online that there are many different sizes are available. One of my friends having the same issue with the height so he installed Impact Doors Boca Raton that solved his problem and gave an attractive look to the house. Actually, he is from south Florida, this city is not immune to natural disaster such as hurricanes and storms. These impact doors also provide safety to his house and available in different of sizes.

Back