Is that so hard for new Operator ?

SJimmy

Full Registered User
Hey everyone.

I choose to leave my last job for try to work in the private protection industry, but it seems really hard for new people to work right ?

I think I need some tips.
The company that trained me will probably employ me in one month, at the rotation time.
But I have try, for see, to apply for some PMC and this is simple : no one answer :D

I will probably have the funding for a CPO formation, not before the end of the year because of dates, maybe that could help me but I dont know, not sure.

So I would like to have your return about the current market.
They told me during the training about how difficult it is since the arrival of "low cost" company, but it's like the UK/US company refuse to employ new people.
Or maybe, I don't do the right things for.

Thanks for read.
Jim.

Getting in now is tricky, you need to be better than the average 'Squaddie' who I might add is still a good operator, especially if they're the shut up and listen kind.

There is work out there, let me just clear that up now. is it well paid work? probably not (The only true statement as of late), this is because the top tier firms recruit guys from Infantry (SF,PARA,MARINE,INF-sniper/recce) back grounds. The higher paying jobs are usually rotated out by the same guys working on and off each others down time so they rarely have a gap to fill and if they do it will be filled by a guy they've worked with or know.

Be better than the average guys, if he's basically qualified you need to me intermediately qualified (easiest way of putting it), find a avenue and be the best you can be in it, I.E Team leader, Driver, Medic, Language ect

as for the 'Low cost' companies, the contracts they get vary massively along side the quality of operator they employ, I've seen high paying contracts staffed by operators who are 200+lb soft tissue slow moving heavy breathing targets. on the other end of the scale I've seen low paying contracts filled with guys who want to be professional in everything they do.

This that can help you enter the market:

Knowledge: Gain info from forums such as these, seminars, Linked in/facebook/social media, friends --NET WORK--
Certification: Try and acquire as much as you can, do not settle for the basics, everyone can get the basics from courses who's costs differ greatly, --Be better than the next guy both professionally & academically. Alongside this if you go for medic make sure you volunteer in your local A+E should you be allowed to do so, it's great being 'Paramedic' on paper, but once you have a sucking chest wound or cranial collapse you're good to no one.
Market knowledge: Do not confine your self to Hostile/Bodyguard/Surveillance ect Wok, keep all doors open if your social and home life allows.
Courses: Try to avoid the billy basic courses, be sure to get as much as you can for what you're paying, if a CP course is 1,000£$ ect but gives you the basic 3/4 qualification BIN IT. If a course is 3/4,000 and gives you 5/6 + experience in specific parts DO IT. i.e Ronin(SA) medic course gives you the certification as well as hands on time in a A+E/Paramedic work space
Think outside the box As fantastic as you are there is always a bunch of guys just as fantastic, both on paper and appearance/work ethic. There's a whole bunch of medics, there's a whole bunch of team leads, there's not many language guys

-Pro tip- for you, as you're french and know basic English (from what I can see) Head to the African market, there's many areas there whom speak French, so you're beneficial to that area right now.

Be patient.

EDIT: Many jobs will ask for 1 year PSD/HECPO/CP experience, this is generally over looked if you have had a military career and especially if it was front line.

Last edited:
Well, thanks for your anwser :)

I think I feel what you mean when you say that we have to be more qualified than the basically candidate.
CPO course could be a plus, but that will not be a pass.

My biggest problem actually is, I think, that I did only 3 year in the land force.
I got many qualifications, some as enlisted, some as NCO and finally some in Special Force.
But apart two internal protection deployments I leave the army without any operational deployment. You can't evolve and be trained if you are deployed.

The company who have trained me is composed of former member of french navy special force. So they were able to appreciate my skills and dont really judged me only on deployment or not.
About courses, specially CPO, I have to do a training who allow me to get the french equivalent of SIA card. So I'm trying to do one who will give me the french card (APR/A3P) and the SIA card in the same time (between 4000 and 5000€).

For finish, I see that everyone is asking for 4 years or more in law enforcement/military experience.
In the african market too, so whatever I'm french, they are just so hard with people who dont get one or two criteria. I see, it seems, they prefer to get someone who did 4 years, with one or two deployment, doesn't matter that he never leave the FOB. And for the network, I feel that I need to do one or two rotation before be able to join one. For sample, I have try to join two linked in group,was 3 month ago, still waiting for an answer ^^

Another time, thanks you for your help and the time you accord me.

SJimmy

Do not be basically qualified but then again do not be over qualified, it's not uncommon for employers to check over a fantastic CV and see that this guy has huge experience. What I mean by this is, guys who are over qualified will enter a job on the 'basic pay' and after a few months or years they get comfortable and from that they start asking for more money stating the fact that they're more qualified than the guy next to them. (again that's my experience as a employer & its usually avoided if possible)

Just be sure you have a great skill set in one area, for you I would perfect my Written and Verbal English and approach a Employer who's working in Africa & in a place where French is the second tongue (there is a gap for it & guys such as your self fill those gaps well

Completing 3 years of service isn't a problem at all! Military service is beneficial as you've set your self apart from others professionally, you're able to receive and give orders, you're diligent & can work hard when times are tough and no doubt you are always wanting to be the best at what you do.

NCO is beneficial for 2ic and Team lead positions
SF Certification (if proven) is always beneficial. (If you do not have proof of this I would avoid passing that info to the employer.)

If you have internal protection experience I am sure that this would follow greatly into external work, try and get references from those who you have worked with.

Any SF guy will appreciate anyone who puts in the effort no doubt, again references from anyone on those courses will be beneficial. If you've not done anything that has been noted as SF work either by paper/report ect then I would again avoid saying this to an employer, but! do add to your CV/Covering letter that you have conducted training externally to the special forces BY special forces and a round up of what you've learnt and why it will benefit said employer.

Yes, CPO courses, Who have you looked at doing the training with? are you restricted to learning in France or are you able to travel? - If you're looking to get your moneys worth may I suggest you acquire the APR/A3P on it's own and head to a external company offering the UKSIA and maybe something like the South African SIA (again try and get your moneys worth, do not be afraid to spend more or less)

Employers list those requirements under 'Preferred experience' (usually) this means it is not mandatory and can be overlooked for experience else where, I know there's threads here saying ''If you don't meet the requirements on the advert do not go for the job'' but in all honestly that's B.S, if that were the case the CP market wouldn't be how it is now. Again Phone them instead of just sending them your CV, ask for the interviewers Email/Human resources Email or phone numbers and ask them if it is mandatory, the answer will undoubtedly surprise you.

Your statement is true ''I see, it seems, they prefer to get someone who did 4 years, with one or two deployment, doesn't matter that he never leave the FOB. '' I couldn't agree with you anymore on that.

Guys who've done that usually find themselves never having their contract renewed but then again if you fit well with the team and work hard then they usually are. They ask for F.line experience as to avoid having individuals freeze up when lead is in the air or vise versa, having a individual brass every person up down the end of their range.

Experience is very much a double edged sword, but front line war fighting isn't front line CPO'ing, you have internal experience of CPO'ing be sure to state that on your CV/Covering letters as that shows you have actually done what is required.

Networking is joining social media relating to the job & attending seminars and presentations/open days in relation to the job, you can attend these without experience and pick the brains of those who know, you're already networking just by being here and asking question, no doubt you will befriend someone here in the same situation, or you may meet someone in the same situation who may get a break and maybe think of you and help you out ect.

Linked in groups tend to be rarely active, this is because the guys are usually away or the owner of the page hasn't been back for a while, don't worry about it too much, facebook has some great groups ran by individuals here.

If you can send me a PM and I'll send you over their names ect.

Not a problem, what I say may/not help you and other may say I'm wrong but it's quite subjective.

Well ! I love to talk with you.
Very rewarding.

First, I will never say I was NCO or in SF if I'm not able to prove it, so don't worry for that.
I have every document they would ask me for that, but since no one has answered me ^^

About CPO, because of I'm trying to get a founding for that, I have to do a course who is recognize by France.
Actually, four company are proposing to get the A3P and SIA in the same course : IFS2I (by praetorian bodyguard), Groupe9 ,Europe Securite Formation and Secoprotec (Secopex, if you heard about what happened at them last president).
I heard many bad thing about IFS2I, but every company just want to do money at the end, so I'm just watching and comparing courses content.

An ex french foreign legion friend was talking me that there is a big CPO training company in South Africa, but its seems like they are many that propose this training and he didnt remember about the name. My actual problem is the money for pay my own courses. I have leave my last job (Security Officer in the European Investment Bank) there is now four month and I'm living without resource since. Have already pay my french MSO course so.

I know I have to work my english, because I have learned it from myself for the most (it was my second foreign language at school).
I will wait the answer from the company who trained me, taking my first MSO experience and after that I will see what I can do. But I notice its better to call them directly instead of just sending them a CV, for MSO Company. And for the africa, without SIA CPO, I feel like it's impossible to work actually.

I will send you a PM asap for groups name.

Thanks once again and have a good end day.

Jim

Yeah but you told me I am able to PM now.
I should have wait a long time before Isee by myself.

Last edited:
Well ! I love to talk with you.
Very rewarding.

1. First, I will never say I was NCO or in SF if I'm not able to prove it, so don't worry for that.
I have every document they would ask me for that, but since no one has answered me ^^

2.About CPO, because of I'm trying to get a founding for that, I have to do a course who is recognize by France.

3. An ex french foreign legion friend was talking me that there is a big CPO training company in South Africa

4.I know I have to work my english, because I have learned it from myself for the most (it was my second foreign language at school).
I will wait the answer from the company who trained me, taking my first MSO experience and after that I will see what I can do. But I notice its better to call them directly instead of just sending them a CV, for MSO Company. And for the africa, without SIA CPO, I feel like it's impossible to work actually.

I will send you a PM asap for groups name.

Thanks once again and have a good end day.

Jim

1. Good, I've known employers to cry them selves to death laughing at some CV's where the individual eluded to ''Black ops'' ''Deniable ops'' and ''Operating as a 1 man army'' hilarious stuff.

By all means, include any training you've conducted with S.M.E's

2. Make sure you're getting your moneys worth, keep asking questions to the company and to other experienced individuals.

3. He is probably talking about Ronin (South Africa), I've heard outstanding reviews and that the experience is great. I haven't done this course but I am looking to do it later in the year, along with their Medic course.

4. CP is Required for both Land and Sea, the training how ever will differ. Any country that has CPO/MSO's in will recruit anyone of worth, I believe it would be best for you to decide Land/Sea & Become a SME in one or the Other. *SME (Subject matter expert) this will help focus your mind. Keep working on your English. You're doing well. Like I said Africa's second tongue is French so you are employable, it's just finding that spot/company.its not too hard

Just revise the market & look for the gaps, I know what I know from asking questions, going to security seminars/conferences & talking to guys from my old regiment who are in that area of work, if you try and enter with absolutely 0 knowledge on the market it's setting yourself up to fail.

As many guys leaving the UK ARMY/NAVY/RAF are finding out.

Back