Training "certification" and "awards"

Boxing is littered with dozens of sanctioning bodies. Every person who comes along with an aspiration to tidy the sport up (or a claim that this is their aspiration) inevitably starts up yet another body ("but this one will be different") and muddies the waters still further.

At the elite end of the business, rigorous recruitment criteria and thorough (continuation) training of new and existing employees to improve standards and stave off skill-fade should always be the preserve of high calibre internal training departments and external training contractors. Any security company that does not invest heavily in the aforementioned is providing its customers with a sub-standard service. No exceptions. Actions speak louder than words: forget about flashing certificates, invite potential and existing customers to come and watch training to evaluate it for themselves, and build a strong brand off the back of your operational successes.

Last edited:
Boxing is littered with dozens of sanctioning bodies. Every person who comes along with an aspiration to tidy the sport up (or a claim that this is their aspiration) inevitably starts up yet another body ("but this one will be different") and muddies the waters still further.

At the elite end of the business, rigorous recruitment criteria and thorough (continuation) training of new and existing employees to improve standards and stave off skill-fade should always be the preserve of high calibre internal training departments and external training contractors. Any security company that does not invest heavily in the aforementioned is providing its customers with a sub-standard service. No exceptions. Actions speak louder than words: forget about flashing certificates, invite potential and existing customers to come and watch training to evaluate it for themselves, and build a strong brand off the back of your operational successes.

I agree with most of this.

I don't think anyone is suggesting another pointless, money grabbing "association" or "committee" at all. I think you are right it does muddy the waters and, while everyone and his uncle is trying to decide who's dick is bigger, the POS mickey mouse TP's profit.

Continuation training is essential.

Actions certainly do speak louder than words.

Forget about flashing certificates? Absolutely because most are not worth the paper they are printed on.

Where this falls down is inviting companies to come and see training. I like the sentiment but..... Firstly they don't have time and bringing a desk jockey to look at something he neither understands nor gives a shit about is pointless.

One company training to a set criteria is not a standard. It is only a standard when requested by the end user and adopted by TP's. This can happen two ways .... it is imposed (eg the SIA) or it is voluntarily adopted. In the case imposition, it will always fall to the lowest common denominator. Voluntarily adopted standards only work when driven from the top down.

Back