Experienced civilian medic getting into the industry

medic234

Good afternoon all

I am new to the forum and the security industry so please be gentle. I have been looking through the forum which I am finding really helpful and I was just wondering if anyone out there would be able to give me some advice.

Basically I have worked in the Ambulance service, both NHS and private for over 8 years and while I enjoy what I do I am looking to branch out into something new. I have always had an interest in security work and I have considered training as a close protection officer, but since this is very expensive I thought I would see what is out there is a medical capacity. A google search and looking on here has thrown up a few ideas but, other than that I am unsure as to what roles my experience would suit. My qualifications are:

IHCD ambulance technician (EMT)
IHCD Emergency driver qualified
Intermediate life support (UKresus) qualified
Level 3 education and training (I have trained FPOS intermediate to community responders)
Rugby union immediate care practitioner and first aid manager

I have over 7 years frontline experience and I have also worked on large scale events, secure patient transfers and as a technician in Accident and emergency doing triage. I'm not sure if it help but I am also an advanced driver and IAM/RoSPA observer.

Would I be considered by companies out there for medic roles? Would it be of use doing some of these extra courses like MIRA? Would it be worth applying for any VIP driving jobs or is this generally only ex police/military drivers?

As a newbie any info and advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guy's

There's a long answer, but the short answer is forget it, no chance.

As a paramedic you might have a better chance, but as just a EMT with no military background, nope 'fraid not. And for good reason, would you want your back to be watched by someone with no military experience when the rounds start flying?

There's a long answer, but the short answer is forget it, no chance.

As a paramedic you might have a better chance, but as just a EMT with no military background, nope 'fraid not. And for good reason, would you want your back to be watched by someone with no military experience when the rounds start flying?

Or with the clinical expertise to intervene appropriately...remember; you're more likely to be dealing with a medical incapacity than a wounded mukka, so you need much more than tech. IMHO, Para + Offshore Medic + several other bells and whistles are an absolute minimum.

Further to the OP, I'm all of the above and have not renewed my CP because there's no money left in the industry, and I'm sick of having to bid against cheap options, so I'm out of it.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies guy's, much appreciated

I completely understand that in terms of Hostile environment work I am no where near qualified enough, nor to I have the required experience, though to be honest I was looking more at corporate/uk based roles.

I have looked into it and it seems quite a few security companies around the UK require medics to work on media/TV projects as well as medically trained members of security teams (uk based), would you think I had any employability in those sort of areas?

I haven't ruled out, and have enough saved to do a CPO course, though as I have no real military/police background (with the exception of 2 years in the TA over 5 years ago) I am not sure how seriously I would be taken. I do have advanced driving qualifications so perhaps I would have more joy looking at chauffeuring type roles to get a foot in the door? or perhaps spend the money on a security driving course?

Hi Medic234

You're clinical quals and experience will get you a tick in the box, but honestly because you have no military background or experience then any application for a post in a hostile environment will get knocked back. sorry

Medic234,

If you're really serious about this route join the reserves and get some military experience.

In fact if you're serious work on getting your paramedic ticket, and join the reserves, then come back to this in a few years.

Thanks for the replies guy's

I have considered going onto a paramedic course, but since they are not offering upskill through my trust at the moment I would have to pay, that would be £9000, with two kids and a mortgage that's just not an option, if it changes and I can go internal I probably will.

I can see what you mean in terms of joining the TA, or I have looked at the RAF reserves aeromedical squadrons, but as I am only looking at working in the UK at the moment im not sure if it's really needed, plus I am certainly not any where near as 'military minded' as I used to be, added to the fact I am not getting any younger im not sure how viable it is. I had thought about joining the specials but can't see that holding much water.

I might well look into security driving/chauffeuring, it is something different and would give me a bit of an insight into the industry. I have emailed a few companies and have had some promising replies, it seems RoSPA/IAM are pretty well thought of along with being an emergency driver. I also called a security company that are looking for medics to work on media/film type stuff and I have been offered work by one following an interview/skills assessment........ there are definitely roles out there for people with a non military background, just need to seek it out.

Really appreciating all the help guys

Thank you for the replies guy's, much appreciated

I completely understand that in terms of Hostile environment work I am no where near qualified enough, nor to I have the required experience, though to be honest I was looking more at corporate/uk based roles.

I have looked into it and it seems quite a few security companies around the UK require medics to work on media/TV projects as well as medically trained members of security teams (uk based), would you think I had any employability in those sort of areas?

I haven't ruled out, and have enough saved to do a CPO course, though as I have no real military/police background (with the exception of 2 years in the TA over 5 years ago) I am not sure how seriously I would be taken. I do have advanced driving qualifications so perhaps I would have more joy looking at chauffeuring type roles to get a foot in the door? or perhaps spend the money on a security driving course?
try these guys https://worldextrememedicine.com/

Back