Medi alert systems

TMAC

Longterm Registered User
Anyone using these systems or have any recommendations?

For use in sheltered housing for pensioners with medical issues etc.

GSM or landline based.

No personal experience but on a Dementia related forum I frequent there are lots of threads. Most seem to be landline based and on activating the alarm or via sensors around the home a call centre is contacted.

This link comes from the AgeUK website....
Telecare systems - independent help and advice

If it is for a member of your family Social Services often have a system for free or a small monthly payment.

Anyone using these systems or have any recommendations?

For use in sheltered housing for pensioners with medical issues etc.

GSM or landline based.

As it happens, yes :)

Similar to stuff our outfit does for Leicester NHS and care homes.

Gimme a bell tomorrow.

V :)

I know nothing of the versions available, but have responded to several of them on the ambulance. They are incredibly valuable, the majority of times I have seen them activated the patient would not have reached a phone in time.

We've had several types of devices for my Dad, but unfortunately he soon forgets how to use them or what they're there for. with any device, if there is any amount of dementia, turning them off at the mains at night is a big issue.

We've had several types of devices for my Dad, but unfortunately he soon forgets how to use them or what they're there for. with any device, if there is any amount of dementia, turning them off at the mains at night is a big issue.

Is there not a system that sends an alert on power failure? no matter how the power fails?

Is there not a system that sends an alert on power failure? no matter how the power fails?
Oh yes, one system did that. It stored enough power to still work for a while. The company would connect and start talking to ask what was wrong, followed by half deaf Dad hearing a voice, not knowing what it was saying or where it was coming from. Therefore getting very stressed. Even then, if he was told to leave it on he might turn it off later in the night with the same result. This is what a lot of people don't get about dementia, even with the simplest things they can forget something within minutes so things you put in place to try and help can easily be scuppered by them because they forget what they are there for or forget what to do with them. You could even have a list of instructions and they'd forget to look at it. You could have instructions right next to something and they'd throw them in the bin "because I don't need them".

You must sometimes want to walk away. I know I would, but of course, I wouldn't and neither would, or could you.
I think that memory loss with age, is part of natures way of disposing of the old, from long ago, when more hungry wild animals roamed the earth and few had doors on their caves. I have been researching a lot of 'long ago' human history and evolution, especially around the era when humans 'suddenly' lost body hair, (apart from the scent retention body hair) and developed meaningful speech and walked erect.

Hi all

My mother-in-law has Parkinson's dementia and has failed to raise the alarm when she fell over in her bedroom. She was found by the carers the following morning and she had broken her hip.

There are a couple of options that are available, such as a system that if someone is away from their bed for a certain time it alerts a call centre and another method which triggers an alarm if the person falls over.

Hopefully I will have more information on the above within the next couple of weeks and I'm happy to pass on the details (please send me a PM).

Regards

JHD

Back