Medical-wing HEMS Course

Midwales

Banned
Hi Guys,

I have just completed the Medical-wing HEMS course (the same one CAV1 was on, review posted in the maritime section).

I had previously done the Prometheus medical VIPER course (review is on here :) ) which dont get me wrong, was an excellent course.

I decided to do the HEMS course to initially recap my FPOS skills, and to gain the new skills which were covered in the extended skills. (FPOS I)

The course was held at the national fire college, which boast 350 acres of play grounds including a ship, several aeroplanes, an oil rig, a partially collapsed building, RTC's......the list goes on, and you get to run scenarios on all of them.

Whilst on the course accomodation consists of an on suite room with a double bed. All meals are provided and are excellent quality and you can use all the facilities which include, gym, swimming pool etc.

I wont go into details of the extended skills as this would spoil the surprise :) but lets just say that prior to the course, I would have never thought that I would be capable of cannulating people!!

The instructors on the course, Chef, Martyn and team were very knowledgable, with a wide set of experience and skills, very professional and some of the best instructors you could ask for.

The course is very hands on especially the scenarios on the fire ground...very full on!!! and very enjoyable.

I would recommend this course to anyone looking for gain or improve their skills, especially someone with the view of going anywhere hostile.

The cost is reasonable at the outset, but when you see what you gain from the course, as well as kit given to you, it becomes a no brainer compared to the cost of some other training providers courses.....plus this one is accredited, which some other dodgy providers out there say they are...but are definately not!!!

I had a great time, many thanks to the Med wing and all the other guys on the course (some of who are good friends now) for making it very enjoyable and a great laugh.

Any questions, dont hesitate to ask.

Midwales

Also attended this course (ive reviewed it maritime sec), first class course and instructors, highly recommend to all!!!!

Cav1

Thanks very much for the positive feedback from the guys above.
Everyone at The Medical Wing Ltd has been working extremely hard behind the scenes over the last few months. Everyone who passes our courses is put onto our data base from which we employ/recommend for employment from and we are delighted to say that 75% of the people who attended our last course were offered some kind of employment with 48 hrs!!!
We are working hard to secure employment for everyone else on our data base and will be announcing some exciting news shortly!!! So watch this space..........

Sounds good. Apart from IHCD(or edexcel if you prefer) who else accredits the course?

My fposI is up in a year, and I want to find a good firm to requal with. All the extended skills stuff is good, and I mean no disrespect when I say this, but some(who I have met) fpos-I advanced medical types, who are quite competent at gaining access whilst in a light and airy room, but ask them about crystalloid and colloid, hypotonic etc, and I get a blank look.

So still not sure wether to go with a no frills fpos,or one of these fancy ones.
Of course, when I'm laying in a ditch, full of Holes, I'm not really going to care what their ticket says, as long as they can help me....

Glad that you enjoyed and passed your course, and please don't think I mean any badness to training companies or individuals. As lond as we are all operating within our limits.

Cheers,
3lead.

Last edited:
As far as a no frills FPOS Vs FPOS with enhanced skills - It really depends on your needs.

If you wish to work as ambulance crew or as a first responder in the UK, then there's no need nor would you be permitted to cannulate but a working knowledge of it to assist the paramedic is useful / important and is covered on a standard FPOS-I anyway.

If you're looking at working in remote or hostile areas, these courses are useful, whether its HEMS, HEMT, MIRA etc. They are all essentially FPOS with extended skills appropriate to the environment. No qualification alone will allow you to cannulate or admnister drugs in these environments (Iraq, Africa, Afghan) but there are 2 distinct things to consider / remember:
  1. In these conditions, when the wheel comes off, who cares, providing the treatment is safe and effective within the scope of training
  2. No qual is a license to practice, you would need authority to operate at that level by a medical director, with standing orders in place, protocols, insurance
The security industry is a very very grey area and varies dramatically across the board and the difference between companies expecting medics to operate as medics is incredible and covers both of the points above.

Some companies DO provide equipment, medical direction (online and offline), telemedicine, insurance etc etc and others really cuff it....bring your own kit, buy source your own drugs, operate however you like cos we don't understand what you do anyway - GREAT, until someone screws up, has no clinical experience, hasn't done any CPD for years, carries / uses drugs they aren't trained in...... and one day, someone (individual or company) will get sued.

Medical Wing, sorry for hijacking the thread, just replying to 3lead. The content in no way reflects you as you are a Training Provider and not a security company.

In summary, if you maintain a portfolio of evidence of training, maintain your clinical skills and can get top cover to operate at that level, then these courses are great.

M4MED.
Thanks for that. Already have some tickets (see profile)but the one that really seems to count is the fpos. Heard a lot of good stuff about Med wing, and may be worth investigating.

Many thanks.
3l

Back