Phoenix Close Protection Course

All courses cover the same basics in order to get you an SIA licence. The better courses add to this and expand on areas that you need for the role but are not deemed important by the muppets at the SIA, but at the end of the day, no course will cover everything you need to know, so it's down to where and how big the gaps in your knowledge will lie.

The question you should really be asking is 'will this training provider get me any work'?
I've not done the Phoenix G4S course so can't comment on how good it is, but they have the contacts and connections to get you work if you're any good, therefore they're worth a look.

There will be better courses out there but you have to consider:
  • Should I do the best course out there and sit at home writing CVs in the hope someone notices my better training over someone with exactly the same SIA badge from a lesser provider?
  • Will my better training over-ride those with lesser training but lots of experience?
  • Should I accept that the industry is flooded with guys better than me, so I need a company that can provide work and get me on the first rung of the ladder, then worry about upskilling myself while working?

Do a search of the forum and there's loads of advice about who has the best course and given an even playing field, the best respected provider will always give you the greatest launchpad in to CP, but we don't have an even playing filed at the moment - it's all about contacts and experience and as a newbie you have none of either, so pick your provider with this in mind.

I did the phoenix close protection course in Alicante, Spain, the past year, and none of us, 12 people, have job. I think that in the phoenix course in the Uk, 50%, more or less, on average, have job offers, but not in the course in Spain. Someone in G4s can tell me why?

I did the course last October and having come from a similar military background I found the course extremely professional. Yeah it costs a bit more but carries a lot of weight and credibility within the industry. There are a few other firms who provide a similar qualification, all be it BTEC, but employees do look for the Phoenix student tag - spend the money, get trained properly and don't do the industry an in-justice by trying to save you money and go for the cheapest option - its the lives of your mates you are jeopardising at the end of the day.

I did the Birmingham Phoenix course in May 13, and was disappointed. I got the impression that it was something to do with the G4S company from the sales, but it is nothing to do with them. That was my mistake.! The sales pitch was all about what they could do to get us work, and I haven't heard from them since, so that's bollocks! The instruction was poor and I think some students in the class had more experience than the Instructors. One instructor had been in the forces for about 4 years with no operational experience, when we expected a lot more than that! I think its wrong now that they are even called Phoenix PLC when they are just a small company from Birmingham. Could I complain under 'trade descriptions' . My advice dont do the course.

I booked to do the Phoenix Birmingham course in August. Initially a bit dubious: you get what you pay for.

£1000 for 2week course including accomodation seemed far too good to be true.

I had several long phone conversations with the training provider and expressed my concerns. They seemed very professional and knowledgeable.

I paid a £300 deposit to secure my place on the course.

Fortunately I had several colleagues attending the July course, so looked forward to their feed back.

What I got back was a resounding "avoid at all costs".

They cited:
-question marks over instructor credibility.
-lack of value / added value from instructor input.
-accomodatin does not include meals so cost increases.
-everyone passes. When paying large amounts of money for courses - this is expected but my colleagues are experienced SNCOs and voiced severe concerns about the quality of operator this course was producing.

Unfortunately, from this feed back, cancelled my place.

£300 deposit lost but better that than 2weeks and £700 more wasted for a course, that in my opinion, is trying to piggy back G4S Phoenixs reputation.

In this industry recomendation is everything and Birmingham Phoenix's reputation (in my opinion) was left in tatters after several phone calls.

They cited:
-question marks over instructor credibility.
-lack of value / added value from instructor input.
-accomodatin does not include meals so cost increases.
-everyone passes. When paying large amounts of money for courses - this is expected but my colleagues are experienced SNCOs and voiced severe concerns about the quality of operator this course was producing.

It says the trainer is Paul Brown who is Ex Royal Protection. How can he be not qualified enough?

Here's a sorry about Paul.

WHY I WAS PREPARED TO DIE FOR THE ROYALS; TO PROTECT AND SERVE: AS SOPHIE RHYS-JONES GETS A MINDER, ONE BODYGUARD REVEALS WHAT IT'S LIKE TO SHADOW THE RICH AND FAMOUS. - Free Online Library

Last edited:
If you are referring to the one in Birmingham then I would highly recommend not touching them with ba barge pole. I did my course with them many years ago and it was an excellent course but they now have a reputation of bum on seats. Many people within the cp world won't touch people trained by them and each time I go for a job and am asked who I did my course with I get the "ow" remark when I say their name. Save your money and go with someone like excellentia or horizon

Back