UK Military Adventure Training including LRPP

Carl Dowd

Longterm Registered User
So... whilst I was out Nordic Ski-ing over at Laggan area, I passed an old village hall which RAF Mountain Rescue from Kinloss and Leuchars used to frequent on their training weekends & rescue deployments. Which, made me think! how many Adventure Training centres has the Military actually lost..?

1. JSATI Llanwrst - Open.
2. JSMTC Tulloch - Closed to normal AT courses but open for use through Army Edinburgh.
3. JSMTC Ballachulish - Open.
4. JSMTC Kingussie - Closed.
5. JSMTC Dundonnel - Closed.
6. JSMTC Fort George - Closed.
7. RAF FDC Grantown - Open.
8. Norwegian Lodge - Closed.
10. Para Hut (Glencoe) - Closed.
11. LLRP school Weingarten - Closed.
12. M&AW Cadre Training facility, Kinlochleven - Closed.
13. M&AW Cadre St Just - Closed. (But will stand corrected on that one)
14. Silberhutte - Closed.
15. BOBC Norway - Closed.
16. Blaen Pennant - Closed.

Rippon? Comments welcome!
Bovisand? Comments welcome!

Any comments on all military training centres most welcome! Please Add.

CD

JSMTC Towyn Wales not too sure if it's still open or closed......Capel Curig Snowdonia....again not too sure if it is open or closed...JSSDC Bovisand was closed in Sept 2013 and moved to the naval dockyard Plymouth

Last edited:
Of course I am forgetting also JSPC Lippspringe - Closed... JSPC Netheravon - Open... JSPC Weston on the Green - Open... Is Cyprus still running? my mate was the CI there not so long back.

And of course FDC Fairbourne in Mid-Wales - Closed.

Last edited:
Joint services parachute centre netheravon...did my free fall course there back in the early 80s wearing the old orange jump suits jumping out of the islander planes...3 static line....3 dummy pulls static line then 9 free fall ....happy memories

Capel Curig was open a couple of years back. Also, whilst not quite Adventure Training, there's Indefatigable on Anglesey which is an excellent climbing centre. Halton camp is also used as a base for training in the Lake District and they have some of their own instructors.

The building belonged to the RAF so possible RAF adventure training place

Yes mate, I think you are thinking of Nethybridge just outside of Aviemore. Still there buddy but it's a little like Capel or Tulloch(EX JSMTC Station) for RAF Personnel administered from Lossie... The military also owned the Norwegian Lodge at Glenmore, The RA had a small hut there also and Rothiemurchas remains as it is...

C

Yes mate, I think you are thinking of Nethybridge just outside of Aviemore. Still there buddy but it's a little like Capel or Tulloch(EX JSMTC Station) for RAF Personnel administered from Lossie... The military also owned the Norwegian Lodge at Glenmore, The RA had a small hut there also and Rothiemurchas remains as it is...

C

Or you are thinking of RAF OAC Grantown..? Perhaps?

Back