Catching Scum

RocketDodger

Longterm Registered User
On Sunday, in broad daylight, my MiL had her security light completely covered in masking tape. Tonight her neighbour and good friend had hers criminally damaged.

I have a good idea who is behind this and want a CCTV Camera that will record to an SD Card (Like a car dashcam) rather that the normal set up.

Any ideas troops?

I've got two of these, neither work! Mini DV SQ6 IP Camera HD 720P Full HD 1080p Sports IR Night Vision DVR Handy | eBay

Beware of buying anything cheap from China, there are lots of clones and fakes that are unreliable.

Do you think they are targetting the lights to defeat security, or is it that the lights are causing problems for neighbours because of the way they are angled? If it is the latter, re-positioning the lights might be the easier option in the long run.

If you think it is something more malicious, they may well have their faces covered on the property so you might think in terms of using two cameras pointed in either direction down the street, but go for covert rather than overt. There are a few of the small cameras that have IR and motion detect and all record to SD. You then just have to place something over them to keep the rain out and conceal them. But one problem you can get is that the IR LEDs are on as soon as you select that mode, rather than when motion is detected meaning the battery will soon run out. Another problem is the motion detect may not have sensitivity levels, so will trigger too many times.

If security is an issue than go to Maplins or similar store and buy a proper 4 camera set up with a DVR, cover the four corners of the house and do it properly.

Security costs money, and the sooner people realise this the better.

I'm sick of people looking for 'cheap' solutions when their loved ones or assets may be at risk.

That's not directed at you but you get my point?

If there's a risk, mitigate it, for good, don't scrimp on solutions that 'might' solve the problem, it's not worth it in the long run....

RD,
The wildlife cam Pete has recommended is a good piece of kit and is battery operated, and has been designed for its specific use, there are many CCTV cameras that will take SD cards to store video footage, I would recommend Hikvision kit personally, that said if power isn't available or causes an issue listen to Pete.

Regards

premier

On Sunday, in broad daylight, my MiL had her security light completely covered in masking tape. Tonight her neighbour and good friend had hers criminally damaged.

I have a good idea who is behind this and want a CCTV Camera that will record to an SD Card (Like a car dashcam) rather that the normal set up.

Any ideas troops?
I have an older version of this at home. Camera works during the day as well as night time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbfOGM1b5Ns

It's good to have CCTV monitoring, it helps in avoiding property damages and crimes. I would also recommend installing security alarms to get instant notification in case if you have any damage or intrusion. I have read that most of the people give more priority to CCTV rather than alarms (Remote Video Monitoring: How it Works | Alarm & Fire Monitoring Service In Canada). But I think it is better to make your home safe, and also as TMAC said don't bother about money and don't buy cheap products because they can get damaged easily.

Black VUE DRG 650W, 24/7 recording 1920/1080, alright in low light.

If attached to a battery, designed for cars but could easily be hidden out of sight. Bluetooth enabled, records to SD card, can turn on/off Audio recording and LED lights.

I have one on my car and have recorded some crazy stuff.

Cctv

Hi Rocket Dodger

My advice would be to get a proper CCTV camera setup with a DVR. A proper set up will not only give you better image quality but also day and night recording. it will store all the recorded files to the hard drive and you can export the files to a usb device and show the footage to the police. If you go for a High quality cctv kit you will be able to see the faces of the culprits and you will have the added protection of having the cameras visible to deter the criminals from coming back. You can also access a lot of CCTV systems online or via an app so you can view your property anywhere in the world via a smart phone or laptop if the DVR is connected to the Internet. You can even have the systems set up for motion detect so the system will only record when the sensor picks up movement.

Hope this helps,
Brad Jackson
*link removed*

Last edited by a moderator:
Back