difficulty in finding work anyone?!

skydiver

Full Registered User
Hi ladies,

Just wondering if anyone else is having difficulty in finding work on the CP circuit.

I was told that I'd have "no problems in getting employment being a chick" but I wasn't happy with that so I tried to better myself and did 2x BTEC level 4 surveillance courses to be more employable.

However.... I am feeling a little bewildered as I have sent my CV to numerous companies and have had nothing in return - not even a "thanks but no thanks."

How are you able to get experince without someone giving you that all important 'break' that we all know we need.

Any thoughts would be much apprieciated ladies and wherever you are I hope this message finds you safe and well :)

Pink :)

Hi skydiver,
I think to guarantee work you have to set your sights a bit lower initially by taking lower end security work and you will be exposed to people that maybe looking for someone with your qualifications. Then as you have the qualifications you can move onto better tasks.
Unfortunately gone are the days where people can send a cv and get a job the very next month. Unless you have a contact on the team.
I think you were right to not believe just because you are female you will get a job easier, as again it is really hard to find top quality female PPO's.

There are no pearls of wisdom or a secret code, it's just get to work at a lower level and when an opportunity arises be ready for it.
Good luck

Agreed with above, just keep at it, and Network like your life depends on it!
Take anything that's going, doors, events, static, dog walking etc that gets you front and centre with the right people.
Be willing, adaptable, don't moan and have a strong work ethic, it will come your way, it just takes time....

Network like crazy. If you're doing it right, it's a few hours on LinkedIn and FB every week, NOT just networking, but researching the people and companies you want to deal with, + nailing out cv's to named individuals, in response to a specific requirement. (And DO make sure you hit the requirements they've asked for, or you just go on the sh!te list for next time.)

...and join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/closeprotectionworld/ and any other group relevant to what you want to do,

...oh yeah, and get your arse down to the CPW meet at the VSC.

V :)

Last edited:
Pink,

I've been in the commercial sector for over 20 years, so feel qualified to say this.

Firstly, regardless of what 'Level' you have on a CV, its down to who you trained with and whether they have a good reputation. In respect of surveillance, one company's standard is different to another. Sorry, but that's the real world.

You can't be trying that hard because you didn't write to us, we carry out operational work as well as training. Yesterday, I had a request to provide a female surveillance operator for a 4 day task. I bounced it to one of our former students.

Secondly, have you followed up any of your letters / CV sending with phone calls? I get at least 3 CV's a week. All get responses but I take more note of those that telephone afterwards and follow it up - it displays initiative and determination......

Good luck...

Peter @ ISS

Thank you all for your helpful replies.

I did my course with Ronin, Hereford (passed with a Distinction) and did my BTEC level 4 surveillance courses (and worked for them afterwards) with The Surveillance Group.

I know the work is very seasonal - and even though networking did help- it was always "we'll have something soon but nothing yet."

I am currently working with the EOD out in Afghanistan with my Explosive Detective Dog. I will be returning to the UK this Summer so I will network again like mad to try and find someone to give me that first 'break'.

Many thanks again,
Hope you're all safe :)

Skydiver :)

Sent from my iPhone using Close Protection World

Thank you all for your helpful replies.

I did my course with Ronin, Hereford (passed with a Distinction) and did my BTEC level 4 surveillance courses (and worked for them afterwards) with The Surveillance Group.

I know the work is very seasonal - and even though networking did help- it was always "we'll have something soon but nothing yet."

I am currently working with the EOD out in Afghanistan with my Explosive Detective Dog. I will be returning to the UK this Summer so I will network again like mad to try and find someone to give me that first 'break'.

Many thanks again,
Hope you're all safe :)

Skydiver :)

Sent from my iPhone using Close Protection World

Congrats, try more networking now so when when summer comes you may already be tasked out. Just saying. Unless you need a break.

Back