Ex Army Looking For Maritime work

Uchi

Full Registered User
Hi guys looking for some guidance.Im ex Infantry (5 years) and am looking for the best companies to approach for Marsec work.
Ive tried a few who only hire Bootnecks!!!!! Am looking for some names.
I am CP,SIA,SSO and FPOS trained and have my yellow fever inoculation,ENG1 and both seaman's books.
Just looking for work!!!!!!

What are the exclaimation marks for? Surprised they'd only hire bootnecks that have interation with maritime/riverine operations and training rather then 5 years in the army?

I don't know why blokes come on here looking for advice when people just take the pi** out of there comments or try to be little them, because they have got nothing better to do than sit behind a computer because they are un employed.

If you go down to the maritime section mate there is loads on threads on it and some TP's on here so you can ask your self. good luck mate and don't listen to half the blokes on here mate because they are on here because they have nothing better to do. all the best

What are the exclaimation marks for? Surprised they'd only hire bootnecks that have interation with maritime/riverine operations and training rather then 5 years in the army?

Not all of them have that experience, I've met plenty of ex booties who never set foot on a ship other than basic training.. for sure it's the natural choice given their roles, but even 1 PARA are doing Maritime Ops in their SFSG role and by all accounts are pretty good at it too ..the cap badge doesn't maketh one a fabtastic MARSEC operator mate..
The nature of the Industry makes the ex RM's a natural choice based on their hisorical roles in the past, and I don't have a problem with that either, and neither should anyone else trying to break into the Industry, you've just got to up your ante and make yourself every bit as employable as ex Royals ;)

Why Bootnecks?He who pays the piper calls the tune.
The owners of MUSC ex-RM, Solace ex-RM, PVI ex-RM to name a few.Why do they recruit from the same cap-badge? Internal communications, consistency, ease of vetting, good ol' fashioned tribal loyalty. If I was forming my own company I would be inclined to stick with my own clan.

Why Bootnecks?He who pays the piper calls the tune.
The owners of MUSC ex-RM, Solace ex-RM, PVI ex-RM to name a few.Why do they recruit from the same cap-badge? Internal communications, consistency, ease of vetting, good ol' fashioned tribal loyalty. If I was forming my own company I would be inclined to stick with my own clan.

Its all true Uchi there is alot of competition out there, I'm ex REME myself so i'm proper f****d. But given the right training and advice there is nothing to say you cant make a new career for yourself in this very competative market. Alot of it is driven by the clients and at the end of the day if a company profile is more suited to what they want then that is what they will provide.

If I was running a repair facility I would also look at ax REME first as that is what I know best. But in the same instance I know of many ex teeth arms guys transfering over to REME which didnt make them any less of a tradesman or soldier. Its all about the trg and qualities and skills you have and willing to develop. I have got my SSO and STCW95 to do yet but once done that is not going to make me Capt Jack overnight. I expect alot of REMF banter and many trips learning it all from new before ANY serious consideration amongst my new peers that have got a more seasoned background.

Good luck in your search but it sounds to me all you need is that first contract which is prob the hardest to find, once you have that maybe it will just be a case of earning your stripes again. Just like a many of us me included. Try this link if you dont already have it
Drum Cussac - The Business Risk Consultants - Online Application

They say they would like to hear from experienced and motivated service leavers.

Best of luck

Not all of them have that experience, I've met plenty of ex booties who never set foot on a ship other than basic training..

Yes I agree with what youre saying mate but the fact they even touch it in basic training is better than nothing at all. Obv there are exceptions and it doesnt bother me who I work with as long as the guy is decent at his job and alot of the time this will be based on a solid backround. I am not against other units working maritime IN THE SLIGHTEST...I merely make comments on the guys who think its so ridiculous that they won't get hired over an ex RM.

Lads getting annoyed at "bootneck only" companies...is the same as dripping about people getting work through mates...how many people of this forum have applied to dozens of companies and got no response- but one email from a mate with a company and next minute you have a job? I dont see an abundance of messages complaining about..."I was better than the other guy but he got the job because plays golf with the MD"....get over it.

I think some people need to get over this fact of life, coming up with all sorts of reasons like- "I knew a bootneck once and he was shit"...
Perhaps now ex-army are starting to find why being trained in a large variety of roles within the RM is a good thing...rather than us being "Sea-hats".

As for the bloke who mentioned about negative comments on this topic- I havent spent a single day unemployed- I am in Afghanistan now actually, and I'm pretty positive the others making "negative" comments are doing perfectly fine in employment.

Last edited:
Posted Today 8/29/2011 Good Luck!

Maritime Homeland Security group | LinkedIn

Recruiting MarSec professionals

Due to an upsurge in demand, Marine Risk Management SA is looking for up to 12 MarSec professionals (including 3 Team Leaders).

Requirements include:

3 years or more active service in MCT/Maritime SF
At least one year commercial MarSec experience
Membership of IAMSP (or pending application)
Detailed knowledge of BMP4 (available online at www.marinerisk.com/Breaking News)
Possession of Seamans Card/Book
Current passport valid for at least 1 year
Completion of MRM CV form (available on application to info@marinerisk.com)

Please do NOT apply unless the above requirements can be met.

Successful candidates will be required to sign an NDA before issue of contract.

Marine Risk Management SA adheres strictly to the IAMSP Code of Conduct, which can be viewed online at www.iamsponline.org, and requires all non-IAMSP members to understand and comply with that professional code.

Back