Further tips on catching shoplifters?

shogunronin

Full Registered User
So I have been working extremely hard for just under two years to get better at this profession and still finding it difficult. In my job I work in a big supermarket and I have to stay by the door for all of my shift uniformed. I have categorised the elements of catching shoplifters and that is

CCTV Element: I truly believe this is not a 'searcher' but more of a hot spot watcher and observing amateur shoplifters. The modern day shoplifter is not only the scruffy looking chav, but can now be the high class businessman. This means that we have to watch PRODUCTS instead of people (unless we find someone acting super suspicious) or observing someone who might be nesting.

- At the moment I am struggling with this element as I seem to be flicking through the cameras and every single person who I observe just doesn't do anything wrong or steal. It is also difficult for me to watch hot spots as I have to meet and greet customers. - Any more tips for me?

The door element: This is where you stand by the door and check random receipts. I think having that 'inner intuition' when someone has stolen something is something you have to have by trial and error. Nowadays if something looks suspicious i'll do receipt checks. On low-risk customers I will be straightforward and ask for a receipt but high-risk customers I will set the EAS off and check the receipt that way.

indicators someone might have stolen something from my experience

- Romanians. If any enter your store watch them as most of the time they're stealing.

- If someone with a bag for life walks from the area which is not the till section (where paid customers walk from) something is wrong and is worth a high-risk receipt check method.

- Someone whos shopping is placed perfectly in their trolley and stacked well.

= I am getting better at this 'door element' and spotting nesting. Does anyone have any tips for this ?

Patrol element: This is where you patrol the hot spots areas and look for customers eating/drinking inside the store. I seem to be pretty good at this and can get a couple catches a day. Best thing to do is walk around the store looking for tags/cut tags and then look back on the CCTV and see who did it for next time.

Employee element: Weakest area of mine at the moment. I have not caught one employee yet so does anyone have any good tips for catching them?

Employee element: Weakest area of mine at the moment. I have not caught one employee yet so does anyone have any good tips for catching them?

Keep an eye out for an employees friends hanging about, people just asking to be served by one perticular employee. Keep an eye on the till rolls, is one individual constantly down or even up cashing out? Look for empty coathangers and empty boxes - focus there, for a start...

Keep an eye on the goods in part of your warehouse/store, I have previously caught a member of the loss control team, receipt and despatch team and a courier working together. The loss control guy was using his knowledge of the cctv blind spots and where to put the items until the courier arrived and the the items went out which were hidden behind large pallets of goods. I conducted a rural surveillance op as part of a team where the MO of Factory Manager was uncovered as to how thousands of pounds of product were not even reaching the goods inwards department.

Heads of previously caught shoplifters on spikes at the entrance as a deterrent.

Prevention better than the cure and all that...;-)

Heno

Heads of previously caught shoplifters on spikes at the entrance as a deterrent.

Prevention better than the cure and all that...;-)

Heno

Mate, I need your assistance in Dundalk with some pikeys
Just wondering what is your preferred method of head removal, broad sword or chainsaw?

The client will supply the spikes if I ask nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Close Protection World

Mate, I need your assistance in Dundalk with some pikeys
Just wondering what is your preferred method of head removal, broad sword or chainsaw?

The client will supply the spikes if I ask nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Close Protection World

High Explosives. Using the mantra, P for plenty....

Heno

I haven't read all the posts so I apologise if I am already repeating advice given..? 'Human Behaviour'... a good area of 'people knowledge' to research and learn...

CD

Heno

Chuckle... "P for plenty"... and old Pontrilas and Dering Lines saying... and for those who have completed the Demo course? we all remember the 'Outcomes' :)

CD

CCTV is the best tool along with monitoring who's in and out, patrols are good for deterring but you will hardly walk around the corner and catch somebody red handed and then have A.S.C.O.N.E until they leave to stop them they could go around the corner and dump the items as you make your way down to them

Heno
That is going to make it a little tricky to put their heads on spikes, hence losing the deterrent effect.

I don't think receipt checking is a wonderful method. You have to consider the proportion of those legally shopping against those that aren't. The vast majority will be legal, with only a tiny proportion of those shoplifting and less of those actually having goods in a bag. You'll be unnecessarily annoying the law abiding customers with little chance of actually catching anyone. Also if you're checking the bags for life, anyone lifting will go through the till with a few other items to avoid you pulling them.

I find it best to watch people for a while and see if they are shopping normally. In a supermarket, if your shop puts bread near the door you'll find most people will buy bread unless they are just there for a few items. So if they pass the bread section without buying then you can use the CCTV to follow them for a while and see what else they're getting. If they're spending time lurking around expensive goods but buying nothing, or buying cheap items then they need to be watched.

As far as staff are concerned the most common trick is to pass a few items past the til without scanning them, easy to do by putting your finger over the bar code. So as has been said look for people going to a certain cashier, not going for the shortest queue is a good indicator, then look for if each item beeps (impossible if its busy). These are the people for whom its worth doing a receipt check, and if the extra items are in bags they've just had filled at the til then the cashier was in on it.

One trick I heard some Christmases back was a couple going in to shops with a large parcel, it opened at the back and was lined in foil, you can guess the rest.

As a Uniformed Retail Security Officer your main role is just a visual deterrent. It is quite difficult to catch shoplifters if your floor walking as your uniform gives you away. I am not sure what your uniform is but let`s say you have to wear a hat then when your walking around and you suspect shoplifting then take your hat off.

Keep an eye on prams, look at the bottom to see if there is any blankets or similar that could be used to cover items. Even though this wont be suspicious all the time it is just worth keeping a mental note. Also keep an eye on an adult giving a child something to carry that may not go through the till (this does happen and they will try and blame the child).

The same people being very friendly to you so they seem to come across as just being nice but then screw the shop over.

CCTV is a useful tool, but I work with Intelligence: when a shoplifter is caught, just talk to them. Not in a condescending or lecturing manner, engage to see what you get back but maintain your professional position, they're not your new mates. If you have to wait for Police attendance, even if they have been cautioned, you can still talk to them. "Why" is a good starter, followed by "How": people love to talk about what they're interested in, some often brag about past victories as well. Some won't communicate at all.

Take what you learn away and use it against others. Then talk to them.

Really appreciate the advice everyone.

So far in the past week I have caught one employee and about 4 shop lifters with good amounts. It is surprising the people who do steal as a lot of the time especially during the day it is the people you would never suspect.

Back