Ministry of Defence Police Recruitment

JackBauer

Full Registered User
Hi all I have just discovered the Ministry of Defence Police are recruiting. Could anybody tell me what the job is like?
From what I can see on the website it looks like armed guard duties, is there much Police work involved in the role?
Is there much chance of promotion etc?
The starting salary says 17k, is this not very low for a Police Officer? I know the CNC start on £23k.

Thanks JB

Have a look on their website and carefully read over their mission statement and what they stand for, This should give you a better idea of what they do and what to expect should you choose to pursue a career with them.

12-hour shifts stagging on. The current recruitment drive is to fill roles at their site in Reading. If you want to relocate to Reading, on £17k, with no assistance from them, to stag on for 12-hour shifts, for a little over minimum wage, then go for it.

12-hour shifts stagging on. The current recruitment drive is to fill roles at their site in Reading. If you want to relocate to Reading, on £17k, with no assistance from them, to stag on for 12-hour shifts, for a little over minimum wage, then go for it.

Yeah but you get to carry a gun! Wow there'll be loads of takers. Then when they get bored they can come back on here and post up they are ex Armed police wanting to do HE CP work and asking for contacts...

Yeah but you get to carry a gun! Wow there'll be loads of takers. Then when they get bored they can come back on here and post up they are ex Armed police wanting to do HE CP work and asking for contacts...

Ssshhh. You're telling everyone my plan.

From what I can see the MDP are very like the CNC. Only the CNC get paid more.
Is it worth joining any Police force for a career these days or is the job screwed?

The 'JackBauer Police Examination' Answers:

Part 1 No

Part 2 Yes

For the life of me I do not understand why anyone would want to join the police nowadays.

The correct answer SHOULD be that they want to join the Police to help people and to make a difference in their community.
The sad fact is that most people wishing to join the Police these days have watched too many episodes of Brit Cops or Police Camera Action and want to strut around in black looking awesome.
As for joining the CNC or M Police??? See above but carrying a gun.
If you are desparate to get tooled up..............join the Army.
Sad. Very sad.

The best force to join is the Met, so many opportunities.

When I recruited I had a few from MOD and CNC apply, I asked all of them for examples of when they had used their training etc, the examples they had were very basic compared to SO19, RMPs etc.

Good blokes but I personally don't see them high up in the ladder of actual confrontational experience.

depends on what you want i suppose,i joined the cnc,the shift pattern fitted my lifestyle and interests better and the pays cracking,especially with living in the north where its so cheap to live.Our local forces are getting gutted with cuts,i've many friends in there and they all hate it,aswell as drinking or taking anti-depressants to get by.

@Andy 442- Whats sad about joining the Army?

Thank you all for your replies. I would like to join the police to serve my community. However Im am put of the idea especially when you hear how bad the morale is and how the service has been cut to bits by the government.

@Andy 442- Whats sad about joining the Army?

Thank you all for your replies. I would like to join the police to serve my community. However Im am put of the idea especially when you hear how bad the morale is and how the service has been cut to bits by the government.

You will not be joining the police to serve 'Your Community'. You will be joining to promote the ideology of the Government of the day. You can thank Saint Tony for that.

As a police officer you should also be aware you pay 15% salary for pension, the government proposal for direct entry to superviosr ranks mean no promotion in the future, and the next proposal is police are not protected from redundancy when more cuts are needed.
In addition we all signed a 30 year contract - its now looking more like 40years - i wouldn't bother as you will be unskilled should you ever leave, many officers want to help but due to cuts and now essentially being roughly £230 worse off (anyone asking -removal of CRTP as well as tax increase, pension increase for an officer over 11yrs).
You would do better to skill yourself in a role with accreddited skills because police may be problem solvers, deal with anything and i know many fantastic capable characters - you cannot get anywhere in civvy street.
hope this helps

Welcome to the real world,..overpaid and mostly overrated you indeed will not find a job in the outside world until you realise that just like eveyone else you aren't entitled to sheltered employment.

Plenty of ex forces and/or Policemen do manage to find gainfull employment after their service.

Stop whining and start looking at what you can actually turn your hand to.

Back