Tier 1 Medic Course Locations

rob-bird

Full Registered User
Hi Lads and Ladies

Im looking to do a Tier 1 medic course but im looking to do one close to home so what im asking do any of you know of a training centre that do this this course in Dorset(Bournemouth/Poole area.) or Hampshire(Southampton).

Thanks to all.

Tier 1?

isn't that First Aid At Work?

If you are looking to fill a Tier requirement then make sure you get what they need. "Tier" 1, 2, 3 have different meaning to different people. It's often confused and misused.

Tier 1 could be considered the top, and in oil and gas it's not.

Presumption being the mother of all evil.....i am presuming you mean Tier 1 for security work in Iraq? If so all companies have different criteria but you need to look at FPOS-I as a minimum as well as Exmed's MIRA.

Yep.. tier 2 is Paramedic, Tier 3 is a trauma doctor or a anaesthesiologist who can stabilise/sedate for evac. In iraq you need a tier 3 to evac to dubai via fixed wing.

Best option with Tier 1 (Fpos+Mira - EMT-B - Amby Tech - FAAW+BLS) would be to get it close, cheap and quick because there's little chance you'll be able to keep current or use your skuills.

For tier 2, go to uni, for 2 years :)

Look carefully at any course claiming to qualify you as a "Tier One Medic". The actual, industry recognised certification you receive is almost always a straight FPOSi.

Find a solid FPOSi course yourself, follow it with MIRA, you'll be in a stronger position.

Gents,
Where does a combat medic slot in?

If you were a CMT1 or MA in the UK then you're at Tier 2, but it won't be recognized unless you have the HCPC cert or similar.

If you've done a "Combat Medic Course" then you fit no where on that list.. maybe Tier 1 if you're certificate isn't made of chocolate.

Do you mean 'frontline military battlefield', or 'frontline medical care'? Surely the ideal would be some of both (even event cover in Surrey can give you some good experience!) but it's not realistic to expect all OSMs to have battlefield experience.

Anyway, I think given that it seems to be impossible to police the attendees are qualified enough to be on the OSM courses, demanding they have a certain level of experience within the pre-requisites seems highly unlikely to happen. And hopefully that's what responsible employers look for, and good potential employees make sure is on their CVs.

RL

Do you mean 'frontline military battlefield', or 'frontline medical care'?

Good point. I meant frontline ambulance as well.

When I got out of the military I had thousands of hours of medical training and experience but if you showed me someone with chest pain and I had to sort out whether it was angina or a STEMI I wouldn't have been as good with that as I would have with a Cat Haem.

My point is that Offshore Medics need more than operational experience. They need to be GPs as well.

I think we probably agree, I was just looking for some clarity.

I think really OSM/Remote Medic needs to have stiffer entry requirements, with ideally people already being registered healthcare professionals, and maybe with OSM becoming regulated a la nurses and paramedics are. Except the problem is I'm not sure how military medics would then be able to do the course. I think realistically it'll stay the way it is, and it'll be down to the employers to establish suitability for any jobs.

RL

The OSM is just an ad-qual for UK medics who have zero remote experience. A paramedic in the UK has no experience in remote operations.

Where as Canadian, American, South African and Australian could simply by the nature of the geographic area they work in. No where in the UK is really remote enough to give exposure like offshore.

And then CMT1 don't have the primary care or clinical exposure as a HCPC Paramedic.

But, the OSM seems to miss the mark quite a bit in terms of filling gaps. It's hard to say how to bring both HCPS and CMT1 into a joined discipline for offshore across the globe.

And of course your have the unfortunate result that some who are neither a CMT1 or HCPC Para get on the course and have a cert which represents a certain level of standing.

But the OSM only applies to UK based operations, anywhere else all you need is a good clinical background in remote medicine, perhaps thats worth greater consideration then a 2 week course.. perhaps not.

Back