Certified Security Consultant

Hi Archie

I was looking at the Bucks university FDA in protective security management with distance learning but after some advice and now looking at the CSC course you mention.

Couple of questions for you I notice that some of the course is distance learning and some you have to attend the university are the timings flexible for the attendance times the reason I ask is I work abroad and may prove difficult to stick to certain dates due to travel and visa issues.

So is it possible to work around this and is there a specific time limit on completing the course with regard to my work as I previously mentioned.

Best regards

Alex.

Well... All I can say Archie is that I trust and hope that your course content is less insulting than that to which I viewed on the SIA Website, which I presume took anyone and everyone in this industry for a thicko at 'Consultant' level... Of course this is an organisation that has informed some at their little get togethers that one can be a Sole Trader as a Ltd Company...

CD

Carl, bit controversial here but I expect the SIA have got the tone and level about right. Lets be honest, most "consultants" are not "consultants" in the expert adviser sense of the word, but more likely freelance security guys who do a little bit of this or a little bit of that, RST one minute, training the next etc That's not to demean or devalue their work.

The trouble is that licensing consultants or regulating them in any way is an impossible goal to pull off (for a thousand reasons), so as with all things legislative, it is perhaps aimed at the lowest........

.....you get my drift. I'll take my tongue out of my cheek now....

Don't you have to be a subject matter expert to be a consultant? And then by being an expert in that field you just simply consult..

Consultants used to be 35 year veterans of sub terrain nuclear exploitation and you needed that guy to consult on your business in sub terrain nuclear exploitation.

Now there's a distance learning course... clap clap.

You do need expertise to be a security consultant; but you also need understanding of principles, theories, corporate approaches, operating environments, enterprise and governance, the types of things that organisations expect from consultants alongside the subject specific knowledge. Placing that knowledge in context is what these programmes are about.

This sector/industry/profession is full of 'consultants' who recycle their own experience and judgment with varying levels of success. These courses don't make excellent consultants better, they help those who are beginning or are developing to build confidence and capability by understanding, wider contextual analysis and application through focusing on areas of 'security' that a capable consultant should understand.

The distance learning course that you 'clap clap' is not a case of sending books out and then getting students to send in a piece of work. The tutors actively support learners through constant contact, provision of advice and subject feedback, and personal tutoring. We use VoIP and email to feedback rapidly and in a timely manner so that learners can discuss and understand, while being able to maintain focus on their daily work. Not only that, but as experience is essential, the tutors are practising consultants themselves, so that knowledge is incorporated into taught elements and feedback.

CSC in fact has 10 days of face to face teaching per module - supported by the components mentioned above, that provides a good deal of 'contact hours'.

Overall, it is about development. Not all consultants currently operating are competent; not all are 'thickos' - but there are plenty of both types around. Our aim is to develop capability in the industry; that's all.

Alex, if you PM me I am happy to discuss with you.

Regards

Archie

You do need expertise to be a security consultant; but you also need understanding of principles, theories, corporate approaches, operating environments, enterprise and governance, the types of things that organisations expect from consultants alongside the subject specific knowledge. Placing that knowledge in context is what these programmes are about.

Isn't that the role of the company hiring you?

If i need a security expert for Angola, i don't need someone who's done a course or understands corporate approaches.. that's my job as a project manager. I need someone who knows all about angola, the people, the culture, immigration aspects, language skills and has friends in places where a bit of cash can help facilitate logistics.

You're teaching people about concepts of risk analysis and report writing with the vague hope that their weekend shifts on the door in surrey will give them an advantage as a consultant. I've seen these "consultants" before, and their subject matter expertise was being in the infantry for 14 years and had one of these courses. So he was of literally no use to me as he had no experience related to any niche market.

England is infamous for a cert for something, city and guilds or edexcel etc. Distance learning etc. Where as the majority could do with a simply business course in report writing, english and grammar and how to present themselves.

Personally, if i saw a CV with "Certified Security Consultant" i would find that highly amusing and laughable. No doubt anyone who had that couldn't consult on anything with a level of superior expertise.

And to be honest, if you're a SME then you're gainfully employed and headhunted often.

I'm sure it's a good course though

Isn't that the role of the company hiring you?

If i need a security expert for Angola, i don't need someone who's done a course or understands corporate approaches.. that's my job as a project manager. I need someone who knows all about angola, the people, the culture, immigration aspects, language skills and has friends in places where a bit of cash can help facilitate logistics.

You're teaching people about concepts of risk analysis and report writing with the vague hope that their weekend shifts on the door in surrey will give them an advantage as a consultant. I've seen these "consultants" before, and their subject matter expertise was being in the infantry for 14 years and had one of these courses. So he was of literally no use to me as he had no experience related to any niche market.

England is infamous for a cert for something, city and guilds or edexcel etc. Distance learning etc. Where as the majority could do with a simply business course in report writing, english and grammar and how to present themselves.

Personally, if i saw a CV with "Certified Security Consultant" i would find that highly amusing and laughable. No doubt anyone who had that couldn't consult on anything with a level of superior expertise.

And to be honest, if you're a SME then you're gainfully employed and headhunted often.

I'm sure it's a good course though

OK, well we'll stick with it in the hope that perhaps some others may find it of use.

Isn't this an advertisement?

If there is a charge for the course, then the poster is an advertiser and should be paying for advertising surely?

It's a link to a blog. However, do feel free to report to the moderators and I'm sure they'll take it down.

Last edited:
Back