Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Daily Workout Thread

KingLeonidas

Longterm Registered User
"1 more small point, for the cardio, if you can, do it outside rather than in the gym, there is a big difference."

This remark reminded me ... meant to add this thought.
I agree with 12345.
My reason might be different, though :)

When you get to be an old guy (and I do incl. myself in that category), one of your risks is prostate cancer. It's not a very nice thought, but there you go. If you dig into the risk factors for prostate cancer, you will find that the risks can be lowered - perhaps appreciably - by changes in your diet and lifestyle. That's not necessairly true of all cancers, but seems to be true for this one. One way to slightly, and I do mean slightly, reduce your risk is to stay active and get some sunshine every day. Something about the Vitamin D production in your body from sunshine does help to reduce the risks. Another positive factor is active exercise of the lower extremities, such as brisk walking or other leg work.

People with the highest risk of prostate cancer are those who work inside all day, sit on their derriere and do a lot of computer work, don't get any sunshine, and don't get the blood circulating in their lower body.

Just a thought. Risks from cancer are highly unpredictable for any specific person - because it depends so much on your DNA.

And besides all that - i like being out in the sun anyway :)

cheers,
KL

Last edited:

Tony61

Full Registered User
Hi Tony61,

Bottom line is you are doing cardio and weights which is really good, well done keep it up.
You may benefit by a slight tweek of what you do.
If you only have the time to do x3 sessions a week, maybe look at switching around doing the weights before the cardio, due to you will be depleted from the cardio so its not a good idea to do weights depleted (there is more to it, research it if you are interested).
If you have the time to train more days per week, I would look at doing cardio one day then weights the next then a day off.
In that situation you can do as suggested and split the body down thus massively reducing your training time and being able to give 100% to the part of the body your are training that day and 100% to the cardio without keeping anything in the tank for your weights session.

1 more small point, for the cardio, if you can, do it outside rather than in the gym, there is a big difference.

Hope this is of some use, i am not a qualified sports coach but any questions you have feel free to ask.

Good luck and keep up the good work
Ha-ha. I do the cardio first because I might be too knackered after the weights, and my test is cardio based. Maybe I'll try it on one session, just to see what happens. I normally do my spinal stretches after cardio to let my heart rate get back down. I run on a treadmill because I get bored running outside, whereas I have to maintain pace on the mill or I will fall on my face! Plus I have music, TV and shapely lycra around me for motivation. I have also been told the mill is easier on my ageing joints? If I could be sure of the opportunities I would split my weights work up but that's difficult, but I appreciate the advice, thanks.

GI0VANNI

Longterm Registered User
Last year I was not able to just put my feet in the gym, this summer decided to go back, I have started by 4 kilometers (1 kilometer running, them 300 meters walking, and go back running up to 4 times) so more or less 40 minutes?? then as I have a nice pool 1 kilometer swimming and done, if it wasn´t for the carbohydrates diet I may be loosing some extra weight but.. al least I am well prepared against the prostate as I spend 8 hour on my feet doing pass checks and computer work all at the same time and without any kind or chair but the 15 minutes break.
The nice thing is I keep my natural advantage with a nice bradycardia so I am able to swim up to 50 meters underwater.

Jstagg89

Full Registered User
If anyone want's any training advice I can lend it, as for the 1st post list I would add 4x20 squats dropping weight from your 1 rep max to the lowest weight you can handle at the end.

Swimming is a very good exercise as it can make your mind and body relaxed and refreshed. It can also make your body flexible. Since I have a pool at home, I swim daily for half an hour. It also helped me in reducing the excess fat from my body.

Top Bottom