Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Daily Workout Thread

Lawton

Longterm Registered User
b****r that !

Yesterdays was two pints of some decent local real ale I've never heard of at lunch, with an excellent cheeseburger. Follwed by a different two pints for early doors in the evening. For those little break in between, determined efforts to get through a pack of Marlbro' Red.

All done in beaten up Levis and a paisley shirt.

...hasten to add, I wasn't driving, as cars off the road. :) .... and the pub's all of a 15 minute gentle stroll away.
That sounds to me like 30 mins cardio, you need to be careful jumping in at the deep end like that, I'd suggest a taxi home next time, don't be a hero, you don't want to pull a hammy! ha.

You need to keep proper from when hammer-curling your pint, the traditional tankards are best for this but as always you can make do with whats available.

JONAH-79

Full Registered User
Todays workout was a 20 minute maxout. (So do as many circuits as possible ( I managed 5 as the row is time consuming)
Warm up was the same as last time...then
250 Row
21 Sumo deadlift highpull (using 30kg kettlebell)
15 chinups
Again this was part in full firekit

After the circuits I did a steady state 3 mile run
@Oddjob I don't pay for gym membership so I make do with what I have at home and a decent wieghts rack takes up too much space and costs a fortune.

wingnut

Longterm Registered User
Last edited:

JONAH-79

Full Registered User
Today's Workout.... Boxing circuit

Circuit 1...
Swiss ball sit up 50
Dips 25
Bar bell curl 21's
1 minute bag work
10 pressups wide arm
10 handstand pressups
10 incline pressups
5 under arm grasp chin ups
5 over arm grasp chin ups
5 behind head chinups

Circuit 2...
Swiss ball dorsal raises 50
Dips 25
Bar bell curl 21's
1 minute bag work
10 pressups normal position
10 handstand pressups
10 incline pressups
5 behind head chinups

Circuit 3...
Swiss ball twist sit up 50
Dips 25
Bar bell curl 21's
1 minute bag work
10 pressups cross thumb
10 handstand pressups
10 incline pressups
5 behind head chinups

Circiut 4...
Hanging leg raises 10
Dips 25
Bar bell curl 21's
1 minute bag work
10 marine pressups
10 handstand pressups
10 incline pressups
5 behind head chinups

Circuit 5...
Swiss ball oblique sit up 50
Dips 25
Bar bell curl 21's
1 minute bag work
10 seal pressups (an in G I Jane)
10 handstand pressups
10 incline pressups
5 behind head chinups

500 Steups

Let me know what you think, its only 20 kg on the bar.

JONAH-79

Full Registered User
@BO13BY I too have used crossfit to increase performance... I use a mix of Firefighter Crossfit, Tacfit Firefighter, the above boxing circuit, Runnning, and one resistance (wieghts) session a week in my current training regime. Yesterday was chest but I change body group each week as I'm not really after bulk anymore.
I think crossfit has many advantages to it, and is highly underestimated by the military who I think should take full advantage of this form as lets face it soldiering is an all round fitness and not a discipline like atheletes do.

MC222

Longterm Registered User
Just throwing a little balance here. Crossfit isn't my game, due to a life time of injuries and 'niggles' which neccessitate that I am careful and controlled with any exercises where I am moving weight/resistance.

Any 'cardo' as it called these days is done on a Concept II rower, which is a piece of kit which I can really work hard, but still stay in control - meaning there is little chance of me going out of the 'groove' of the exercise. Any weights are done in a very controlled way as well.

I am of the school who believe that skill training is done during skill performance training and fitness/conditioning is done specifically for that and utilises all the skeletal muscles, but in a way which replicates what they are designed to do.

Not dissing Crossfit, just saying that it's horses for courses and no one size fits all attitudes.

James9

Longterm Registered User
All you need is dips and heaves - sets of 20's x 5 and then 3 x sets to failure. Smash out a 5 miler each day and you will be squared away. Back this up once a week with 2 x 1.5 milers, back to back at max effort. Job done.

Also get plenty of protein down your neck.

Rgds,

MC222

Longterm Registered User
Thats ok when you are in your twenties and thirties James. But moving away from mid 50s it would finish you for a week:-(. I have found that I need to train intensly, but with nothing that might wreck joints which arent as robust as they used to be.

A younger body can take the hammering. However, at the risk of causing a big row, it doesnt need the hammering - simply the minimum amount of work in order to acheive the gain. Hit the nut right and it will break. Hit it harder and it still breaks, but the extra power wasnt needed. In fact you wasted energy which could have been used to recover.

BO13BY

Full Registered User
I'm not saying crossfit is perfect by any means, but has a lot of good qualities for any one in the military or just looking for a high all round fitness.

JONAH-79

Full Registered User
MC222, I think you've touched on a very important point here.... AGE!
I sitll train like mad but i'm only 34, when I get to 45 I know i'll have to slow down and or change things up but you should never loose hope.
The oldest guy on my Fire Station has just turned 60 and will not be retiring and why should he, he's one of the top three fittest people on my station and still runs 3-5 miles a day and cycles triathelete distances every week too. But he always listens to his body and eases off when he has too.
Alot of guys still push through the pain barrier like their still serving and what for, your self employed, if you end up on the sick you don't get paid!

napoleon

Longterm Registered User
Slow down!!! - at 43 I have an Ultra Marathon each month until 2013 (between 33- 60 miles) with a 100 miler next July.

I depends on how you maintain your body and fit in everything around your lifestyle.

Just done a V02 max test and was told I did not have to train the long distances that I run on and to decrease it and concentrate on speed training.

Now just run twice a week on a training programme designed solely for Ultra running and fit in my Ultras around that, although I do go to my local DW Fitness for a laugh once a week!!!

MAY

Longterm Registered User
Run a bit each morning (between 7 and 9 miles) , follow by some musculation exercice's, is the best way to stay fit everyday.

For me the goal of a PT program is focused on developing aerobic capacity, muscular strength, endurance, power and flexibility. That's why I have incorporated different exercises (cross-training) in my daily workout to enhance physical abilities required to perform physical tasks.

When younger I have neglected the importance of stretching and warm up exercises. I've noticed that proper stretching increased my flexibility, improved my performance and increased agility. Before the workout I do few warm-up exercises (to increase blood flow to the joins), then dynamic stretching, followed up by PT session, warm-down and for the end of the workout I do static stretching.

Exercises that I regularly include in my workout are push-up (regular, diamond, etc), squats, crunches (different variations), flutter kicks, 8 count body builders, burpees, sit ups and pull ups. Sometimes I run before I do PT, then the other way around. If time allows me I go swimming once a week, otherwise I do sprint/distance running interval workouts or plyometric execrises.

Siegfried1

Full Registered User
Todays workout: Before going to work
- 50 Push ups ( with push up bars)
- 50 crunches
- 25 pull ups
- 100 squats

On my way to work: Eight miles by bike

After work: Eight miles back by bike

Tony61

Full Registered User
I know naff all about keeping fit properly, so if someone who knows PT stuff could QA my routine I'd be grateful

Start with a 5 minute warmup on a X-Trainer Level 10
30 minutes on a treadmill, starting at 10.5km/h, increasing by .5km/h every 5 mins.
Spinal mobility stretches, interspersed by 3 sets of crunches, 40 reps per set.
Resistance machines for :
Leg Press 3x20 reps at 140kg
Seated flys 3x10reps at 80kg
Back extension 3x10 reps at 100kg
Lat Pull Down 3x10 reps at 70kg
Seated bicep curls 3x10 reps at 55kg
Dips 3x10 reps
Chest/tricep extension 3x10 reps 40kg
Deltoid/tricep extension 3x10 reps at 40kg
Horizontal Leg Raises 3x10 reps
Finish off 10 mins on the treadmill, start at 10.5km/h increasing .5km/h every minute

When I have a beep test looming I do the 10 minute treadmill session twice with 15 minutes on a cycling machine in between. (instead of the 30 min. treadmill sesion)

I do this 3 times a week, 4 if I'm on leave. I'm nearly 52, 92kg and my resting heart rate is 49, BP normal and cholesterol 3.9.

Last edited:

KingLeonidas

Longterm Registered User
Tony looks pretty good to me.

if you want to improve it ... most serious bodybuilders will not attempt all those exercises on the same day.
for example ... one workout focus on chest and legs.
next workout ... arms, back and shoulders.
the basic idea is to put A lot of focus into a couple of areas. otherwise certain muscles get overworked.

for the aerobics ... you could try some interval training ... which used to be called Fartlek training a long time ago.
easy for 2 mins ... hard for 1 min ... easy for 2 mins ... hard for one 1 min etc. keep going

i would also suggest that you addd more stretches, esp. past 50 years old.
flexibility will keep your body going for a long time.

but like i said - you have an excellent program :)

KL

Paul2RGJ

Full Registered User
I'm doing rehab on an elbow I dislocated in a mixed martial
Arts class. Just running 5/6m a morning and doing circuit training 4 times a week. Physio
told me I can train on my arm now as far as my arm will allow me. Need to get back to mma
but obviously don't want to do too much too soon and damage it again.

I've bought a training mask 2.0 so I'll sort my treadmill out this week and put it to use.

Tony61

Full Registered User
Tony looks pretty good to me.

if you want to improve it ... most serious bodybuilders will not attempt all those exercises on the same day.
for example ... one workout focus on chest and legs.
next workout ... arms, back and shoulders.
the basic idea is to put A lot of focus into a couple of areas. otherwise certain muscles get overworked.

for the aerobics ... you could try some interval training ... which used to be called Fartlek training a long time ago.
easy for 2 mins ... hard for 1 min ... easy for 2 mins ... hard for one 1 min etc. keep going

i would also suggest that you addd more stretches, esp. past 50 years old.
flexibility will keep your body going for a long time.

but like i said - you have an excellent program :)

KL
Thanks for the advice. I don't want to bulk up as my fitness test is solely a beep test, so in theory I could pass it without arms (yes, I know) Also, my aerobic is based on an increasing heart rate with time/distance, again beep test specific, but I have heard of the Fartlek. I might try that for a bit of variation. I tend to throw a lot in because I sometimes miss a session through work or other commitments. That said, I have noticed that if I have an enforced lay off for up to as much as two weeks, it doesn't seem to do any harm when I go back.

Yes, I've learned the importance of stretches, there are actually 9 different ones I do every time. I herniated a disc @18 months ago. I do the spinal mobility stretches every day, gym or not and often feel my spine unravel!

Longterm Registered User
I know naff all about keeping fit properly, so if someone who knows PT stuff could QA my routine I'd be grateful

Start with a 5 minute warmup on a X-Trainer Level 10
30 minutes on a treadmill, starting at 10.5km/h, increasing by .5km/h every 5 mins.
Spinal mobility stretches, interspersed by 3 sets of crunches, 40 reps per set.
Resistance machines for :
Leg Press 3x20 reps at 140kg
Seated flys 3x10reps at 80kg
Back extension 3x10 reps at 100kg
Lat Pull Down 3x10 reps at 70kg
Seated bicep curls 3x10 reps at 55kg
Dips 3x10 reps
Chest/tricep extension 3x10 reps 40kg
Deltoid/tricep extension 3x10 reps at 40kg
Horizontal Leg Raises 3x10 reps
Finish off 10 mins on the treadmill, start at 10.5km/h increasing .5km/h every minute

When I have a beep test looming I do the 10 minute treadmill session twice with 15 minutes on a cycling machine in between. (instead of the 30 min. treadmill sesion)

I do this 3 times a week, 4 if I'm on leave. I'm nearly 52, 92kg and my resting heart rate is 49, BP normal and cholesterol 3.9.

Hi Tony61,

Bottom line is you are doing cardio and weights which is really good, well done keep it up.
You may benefit by a slight tweek of what you do.
If you only have the time to do x3 sessions a week, maybe look at switching around doing the weights before the cardio, due to you will be depleted from the cardio so its not a good idea to do weights depleted (there is more to it, research it if you are interested).
If you have the time to train more days per week, I would look at doing cardio one day then weights the next then a day off.
In that situation you can do as suggested and split the body down thus massively reducing your training time and being able to give 100% to the part of the body your are training that day and 100% to the cardio without keeping anything in the tank for your weights session.

1 more small point, for the cardio, if you can, do it outside rather than in the gym, there is a big difference.

Hope this is of some use, i am not a qualified sports coach but any questions you have feel free to ask.

Good luck and keep up the good work

Top Bottom