e-petition to UK Government to increase standards in Close Protection training

Rich,

I agree that the SIA is shit. However, are you proposing that everyone will have to attend yet another course to carry on doing the job we have done for years?

Sorry mate but I am sick of having to spend money on shit that I already know. I really do hate giving money to TPs.

Hi HT,

I can't propose that everyone will have to attend a further course as the process would have to be ironed out.

What I am stating is that the current training standards for CP are unfit for purpose and unworkable and churn out empty suits onto the streets providing a disservice to those paying and receiving that 'service'.

What is the choice here? Turn a blind eye and let them carry on churning out dross or face the music stepping up to the table to be counted as someone who has a concern for this industry that we say are so passionate about?

Please do kindly reconsider and sign. The actual process may not involve any further courses for those already licensed.

Vote of No Confidence in the Security Industry Authority - e-petitions

Thanks and regards
Rich H

Good question Ed and that is something that will have to be determined at the time.

(If) standards are to be raised through the implementation/ inclusion of bread & butter training objectives currently omitted then I would imagine that all those that were previously licensed under the original training requirements would either have to enter a 'CPD' style process involving attendance of that specific subject matter or 're-train'. There also remains the possibility of course that those already licensed would not have to attend any further training as they had already met the requirements of their license. It would then possibly remain a state of when their license expires that an issue is drawn based on the date of their initial training content.

ULet's not digress into the intricacies of process for the time being but concentrate on actually getting to the place of having the luxury to determine the process in the first place.

As there are (40,000) members on here I am hoping for about 4,000 signatories from this site alone. As has already been said, if nothing comes of fruition from this e-petition at least it will have been an interesting project to determine how many actually step up and be counted out of all the one's that complained about the current standards over recent years.

Have you signed yet?

Rich H

for once we agree but

No rich i havent i think this is a waste of time i dont think you are big enough to take on the powers that be mate.

But if you prove me wrong then i owe you a pint mate ok

ed

I'm not suggesting I'm 'big enough to take on the powers that be' ed.

I'm suggesting the industry supports the motion of no confidence as a whole to underline the current state and to make efforts to pursuing increasing the current standards.

You are one of those that exclaim low standards yet belittle any action on the contrary.

'Armchair warrior' could be the correct terminology here no?

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/53258

Rich H

I'm not suggesting I'm 'big enough to take on the powers that be' ed.

I'm suggesting the industry supports the motion of no confidence as a whole to underline the current state and to make efforts to pursuing increasing the current standards.

You are one of those that exclaim low standards yet belittle any action on the contrary.

'Armchair warrior' could be the correct terminology here no?

Rich H

no rich not arm chair warrior mate i wasnt looking for yet another stab from you lol although i did like the way you worded it maybe you should write a book lol

you say industry but ypu mean CP others of us are talking about the industry as a whole better SG make better DS and better DS make better CPs ypu cant chage an industry at the top you need to go to grass routes to build a firmer foundation.

But im sure you all ready know this

and regarding your figues from CPW at 4000 you may be lucky yes there are 46000 members but about 600 to 800 you it on a tegual based. And half of them are the operators we are talking about unfit for purpose will they want to retain and pay all over again . Im not CP what ever you do to chage the industry will benefit me lol.

I already know who to train with and for whatand have spent time letting peopke know who thry should be looking at but when i have soneone like you stab me on an open forum with my ltd background in my 19 year carrear it doesnt help people belive what i am saying. Unlike you i have do alot more than others as a civvie which puts peoples noses ike you out of joint as i am civvie but thats my cross i will bear it all i can do is prove that i better than others and thats why im on certain jobs.

So for now i will yet again let you get on with what ever you like mate ok

cheers and out

Thanks for your much valued advice ed. I really do appreciate it.

Those that can Rodney. Those that can.

I do urge those that are the slightest bit interested in doing all they can to raise the issue of the unfit for purpose standards in our industry and although it has been highlighted, do all they can to help raise those standards regardless of how remote the chances may first appear.

If a few thousand sign this petition over the course of the next year then who knows where that will take us?

If you believe like me that there is a possibility of changing the standards for Close Protection for the good of the industry then your signature will be most appreciated.

Best regards and thanks in advance.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/53258

Rich H

Last edited by a moderator:
These numbers are not very pleasing. Is there something I can do to assist? Reach out any time on this, you have my full support.

I'm satisfied with 139 in 3 days. It just remains an on-going project for me over the next 12 months to get the word out as much as possible.

If you can help in this area then that would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Rich H

Sorry If I have come into this a bit late. I would be grateful if you could tell me what exactly you are trying to achieve? I am more involved in Guarding and Door Supervisor business but am most interested in others perceptions of where the industry is going generally.

When the SIA was set up and licensing implemented those sectors I am involved in did see marked improvement. I was hopeful that standards would improve. When coupled with Minimum Wage and Working Time Directive the Security Guard is much better off than he/she was.

For me the problems started when companies like employment agencies jumped on the bandwagon, Trained and got licensed 100s of totally unsuitable people and flooded the market with them.

We need to improve the entire industry and through the organizations I belong to I am actively seeking others opinions as to how we can achieve progress.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Mick Lee
Chairman Constant Security Services

Ex Chairman Police and Public Services Section BSIA

I'm satisfied with 139 in 3 days. It just remains an on-going project for me over the next 12 months to get the word out as much as possible.

If you can help in this area then that would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Rich H

Richard, I think you know that I am 100% behind your stance on standards (if you can call what exists a standard). The old British passport came in useful and I have signed the petition.

Here's a thought. Start with a clean sheet. Get rid of the walters, wannabes, instant experts, criminals, rip off merchant TP's, fakeass overweight retarded SF make believe super heroes from the industry and, with the 50 or so people left, re-write the book on standards :)

Rich,

I agree that the SIA is shit. However, are you proposing that everyone will have to attend yet another course to carry on doing the job we have done for years?

Sorry mate but I am sick of having to spend money on shit that I already know. I really do hate giving money to TPs.

Because you know absolutely everything there is to know about your profession? Skill fade?

The fact that we work in an industry where people think they can run an entire career without ever updating their training is exactly why new standards are needed overall.

Sorry If I have come into this a bit late. I would be grateful if you could tell me what exactly you are trying to achieve? I am more involved in Guarding and Door Supervisor business but am most interested in others perceptions of where the industry is going generally.

When the SIA was set up and licensing implemented those sectors I am involved in did see marked improvement. I was hopeful that standards would improve. When coupled with Minimum Wage and Working Time Directive the Security Guard is much better off than he/she was.

For me the problems started when companies like employment agencies jumped on the bandwagon, Trained and got licensed 100s of totally unsuitable people and flooded the market with them.

We need to improve the entire industry and through the organizations I belong to I am actively seeking others opinions as to how we can achieve progress.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Mick Lee
Chairman Constant Security Services

Ex Chairman Police and Public Services Section BSIA

Hi Mike,

Outlined here:

View attachment 5750

Fully outlined here:

E-Petition for Vote of No Confidence in the Security Industry Authority

The Close Protection training core competencies imposed by the SIA in 2006 had been affected by their decision-making practices due to:

- The SIA’s own specific agenda of a ‘minimalist approach’
- The SIA’s focus on personal vetting, criminal convictions and right to work in the UK
- Time available in consideration to other industry sector responsibilities
- Cost to research and implement proper standards
- The lack of knowledge and sector understanding of the working environment
- Consultation with parties with biased/ conflict of interests

The UK National Occupational Standards for Close Protection which were reviewed and changed many times over the years are finally quite fit for purpose in 2011 – for a UK environment that is. If these standards are to be fully recognised and properly transferred into training core competencies then a professional approach to the issue needs to be conducted without experiencing any detrimental influences.

In light of the ‘cull of the Quangos’ in September 2010, the Minister of State, Home Office, Baroness Neville-Jones told the Lords that it remained the Government’s clear intention to abolish the SIA in its present form and transfer the powers to a new regulatory regime by the end of 2013. It was planned for this ‘reform’, or new ‘regime’, to be more ‘industry led’ insofar as implementing standards was concerned. However, one of the best tools for efficiency is transparency and if proper standards are to be implemented, ones that are actually fit for purpose, then the decision-making practises must be based on methodologies that are not affected by the points listed above. It must also prove that all those participants involved do not have vested or biased commercial interests or otherwise.

One month later in October 2010, in direct response to the government’s announcement of the abolishment of the SIA, the ‘Security Regulation Alliance was formed. Members of this Alliance, of which include the BSIA and SfS have “Pledged to act in a transparent and consensual way to reflect the Security Industry’s views as a single voice and will, with the SIA, government and other partners, formulate the basis of the new regulatory regime and enforcement body”.

Transparency is one thing, remaining impartial and independent are two others. If the new regime does not learn from lessons past, if they operate as an alliance of like-minded groups in their own interests and those of solely promoting business and profitability then standards in Close Protection will ultimately not improve and the industry will not move forward. The standards setters, must remain independent and impartial and they must strive for not only improving the market place but for the very service being received by the end-user, the Principal.

After of several years of research on this subject involving communicating directly with the SIA I have no confidence whatsoever that after the formation of this 'new regime' standards will improve at all.

As a result, this e-petition has been created for the benefit of highlighting the UK private security industry's vote of no confidence in the regulatory body The Security Industry Authority; specifically, the training standards implemented for the Close Protection sector since 2006. I want the UK Government to recognise the current unfit for purpose standards currently imposed in my industry and to create a new body comprising of properly experienced security professionals dedicated to implementing a proper workable fit for purpose training standard that is transparent, impartial and independent.

The standards imposed do not only affect the actual service being received by the end user; the client/ Principal but our industry as a whole. If we, as an industry, do not present our view as THE single voice then standards will not improve and the end result will remain unfit for purpose.

Many thanks in advance for your support.

Richard J Aitch

Last edited by a moderator:
All signed and will look forward to see what will happen and who will put their heads up above the sandpit. Hope you get the numbers you require for the next stage.

Many thanks Andrew, much appreciated.

Yes, it will indeed be interesting how many numbers are produced over the 12 months. Suffice to say, I very much doubt it will be the number I'm looking for.

People are fickle - none more so than in the 'CP industry'!

Best regards
Rich H

Back