What Are You Reading?

There is a book I would love to read it would be called '' How To Stick It To The Tax Man '' that would be a good read. you might guess just had a bill.

I enjoyed the Steig Larson books. Not read any of Jo Nesbo's yet, I did watch the film Headhunters though, very good!

Heno

Was that the one about the Art Thief? Think I saw that on Netflix. Pretty good film, although the straw and outhouse scene put me off my porridge.

I'm on his fifth Harry Hole book and will read them all. Harry Hole is a good character and the stories are well thought out.

Was that the one about the Art Thief? Think I saw that on Netflix. Pretty good film, although the straw and outhouse scene put me off my porridge.

I'm on his fifth Harry Hole book and will read them all. Harry Hole is a good character and the stories are well thought out.

Yeah it's the art thief one, pretty gruesome in parts but entertaining none the less!

Heno

Have not listed for a while but until recently I have not had time to complete any books. So my previous books I have completed are Dan Brown's Inferno & Dean Koontz Deeply Odd.

Inferno I thought was much better than the rest of the Robert Langdon series. I think the book was more funny than it was suspenseful, and it is about time because this series is far from suspenseful and I think that the author finally recognized this.

Deeply Odd from the Odd Thomas series I think has been the best so far out of the series, before this Brother Odd was my favorite one. But this recent book took things to another level of that morbid imagination Dean Koontz can sell so well.

I also recently got to see the movie Odd Thomas, shocked that it was a decent movie and that it could hit close to the book on how it is laid out. Would be nice to see if they can make movies out of the rest of them.

This has been one of the best threads for reading lists. I am finishing Compromised by Derek Keyte and How America was Lost by Paul Craig Roberts. This is an excellent book. American's are losing their rights by the day and they don't realize it. They will realize if when they realize that they need those rights, by then it will be too late. Excellent reading.

tapmaster

Have not listed for a while but until recently I have not had time to complete any books. So my previous books I have completed are Dan Brown's Inferno & Dean Koontz Deeply Odd.

Inferno I thought was much better than the rest of the Robert Langdon series. I think the book was more funny than it was suspenseful, and it is about time because this series is far from suspenseful and I think that the author finally recognized this.

Deeply Odd from the Odd Thomas series I think has been the best so far out of the series, before this Brother Odd was my favorite one. But this recent book took things to another level of that morbid imagination Dean Koontz can sell so well.

I also recently got to see the movie Odd Thomas, shocked that it was a decent movie and that it could hit close to the book on how it is laid out. Would be nice to see if they can make movies out of the rest of them.

While you're on Dean Koontz, have a look at his Frankenstein series. Nice new twist on an old theme.

V

Fantastic books Ivan, Odd Thomas series definitely amongst my favourites, I will have to have a look at the film.
Also Tom Clancys Jack Ryan books are cracking :)

Vis, I have only made it to the second book City of Night. But you are correct it is a wld modern way to tell the story, and the city location it was told in could have not been a better place because anything is possible there.

Tap Master,

I too have found many great reads off of this list and have even read a couple you listed as well. Keep us posted on how the books turn out, I know for me I often pick a book based on what other readers say about it rather than what some publishing house has printed. Publishers will try to sell anything but readers are honest.

Also I am not sure if you are into it or not but try some audio books. When I am out on the boat fishing or in the truck I always have a book in. Hell even at the gym, but the trouble with working out whilst listening to a good book is that you can loose track of time and set and before you know it your on all four crawling to the nearest waste bin because you have smoked the hell out of your self.

Ivan,

I've got an audio series downloaded onto my kindle that I just bought the other day (audio series). I'm going to try and pick up another language. I'm going to give an African language a try and see how it goes. If I could figure out the Arabic alphabet in a week certainly with the same script of English i should be able to pick up an African language. I've probably bought fifty books plus or minus from this thread and read every one of them.

I don't listen to anything when I go into the gym. I go into a zone when I'm training that I can block out anything and everyone and just get down to it. Due to health reasons I've had to tune my training down a bit but at least I'm back at it again. I have stopped buying paper books as I have so many now that I have no where to store them. I want to keep them. I've got about sixty books on my kindle.

The book I'm reading is called Compromised is about the Northern Ireland conflict when it was hot and heavy. Growing up in the states I didn't really know what was going on. What I thought I knew about the situation I've found to be wrong as the media was spreading a story that was not true in fact but maybe accurate in their opinion. I've learned more about WWII and Northern Ireland than i would have ever imagined.

The second book I'm reading is How America was lost is an amazing book. Think about this as a snippet. When the Boston Bombing took place the police searched many homes without a warrant. Which is in violation of the constitution. They searched the property of people and in most cases did so without their consent. So people are willing to give up their rights. For me I am not quite ready to submit to their policy and roll over on my back.

The issue of the AR-15 ban and the likes of Piers Morgan are trying to gain some speed. I don't think they will win as myself like many other Americans are NRA members. Americans are so brainwashed that they don't realize that their rights are slowly drifting away. When they wake up from the trans called Obama it will be too late. The regime of Obama, Eric Holder and Hillary Clinton set America back many years. People will see how much damage is done once he leaves office as I'm sure he has some executive powers he's going to try to slide in at the last minute. I could be wrong but i doubt it.

Off to the gym now for a light weights and slow cardio.

tapmaster

Nice to see this thread bumped up again.
Not read a book in quite a while as time has been very short for the last few months, but always have audio books on the go in the car. Recently I've been through:

Complete stories of Sherlock Holmes (50hrs +)
American Gods by Neil Gaiman (very very good!)
Born to Run by Christopher McDougall (Great book - I'm into barefoot/minimalist running)
The Stand by Stephen King
Several more Jo Nesbo books.

The Woodcutter by Reginald Hill is next on the queue.

Hello Tap Master,

Here are a couple links to audio book sites that are free, I have used them many of times and everything is clean.
Books Should Be Free: Audio Books + eBooks on iPhone, Android, Kindle and more!

audio book - Verified Torrents

AudioBooksForFree.com

But also if you can get to a NATO Base or a US Army or US Air Force base, go to their library because they always have some very good audio books as well. Also public library's as well but sometimes they have issues with folks spending the day copying their collection on the spot.

I think good quality audio books for learning a new language is hard to find for free unless it is for English. The only site I have found that has Rosetta collections is the vertor link I added. But audio for language learning makes it go much faster. But there are many languages that just can not be found on audio, and also man that you need to learn in person with a group of people because one word can have 30 meanings, like in Russian, Serbian or Farsi. But if you want to start with an easy language of Africa try Oromo or Africaans.

But just because one is easy it does not mean that all are easy, I speak read and write many but one I have tried for many of years is French. I just can not do it, not even good enough to get my self into some trouble. LOL

Went to see an old mate today and he gave me two books to read, "freefall" by Tom Read (Charles (N) Bruce) and "Royal Blood" by Barry Davies, just finished reading "Flashman at the charge" by George Macdonald Fraser,great series about a cowardly hero,brilliant stuff.

The Book of Five Rings (Musashi). Love the language and the simplistic way he speaks of combat and enemy manipulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Close Protection World

Several years ago the public was called upon to pay off the banks and to bail out Wall Street. So has anyone thought to ask where has our benefits from these bail outs gone? Which banks do we the tax payer still own? I sure have not seen any reduction in my council tax bill or a lower income tax bill. So did you ever wonder how so many countries especially those who have little money end up in so much debt that they will never get out of debt. Look at places like Nigeria where the curse of oil has brought on more oppression and negligence of the people.

Want a really good read on how things end up the way they do read a book called Confessions Of An Economic Hitman. Excellent read and it gives us an insight into how things are the way they are and why.

Best Regards

tapmaster

Several years ago the public was called upon to pay off the banks and to bail out Wall Street. So has anyone thought to ask where has our benefits from these bail outs gone? Which banks do we the tax payer still own? I sure have not seen any reduction in my council tax bill or a lower income tax bill. So did you ever wonder how so many countries especially those who have little money end up in so much debt that they will never get out of debt. Look at places like Nigeria where the curse of oil has brought on more oppression and negligence of the people.

Want a really good read on how things end up the way they do read a book called Confessions Of An Economic Hitman. Excellent read and it gives us an insight into how things are the way they are and why.

Best Regards

tapmaster

I have read the Perkins book and it was pretty good, but it was written by only one man. However to solidify some of his points read the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act. This is specifically designed shortly after the bail out to do nothing more than f*ck over every last American living outside of the United States. This even includes dual citizens no matter if they had US citizenship first or not.

However the Democrates did not take one thing into consider when getting all these countries at the G7 to sign it, and that was will banks comply where these abroad Americans reside, and in Europe that is one big HELL NO they will not. Many European based banks have now closed their doors to future American account holders, many have gone as far to tell Americans with a high enough security holdings that they must close their accounts. This is all because the banks do not want to deal with the paperwork that even the IRS is not ready for.

Another thing the Democrates did not count on was how many Americans would surrender their US citizenship, which has gone up by almost 11% to date since this was first passed.

The biggest thing they did not count on was the American that where first citizens of another country. They are required by law to file with the IRS every year, however in their home country where thier securities are vastly held they did not count on the banks advising them not to report their home country assets because the banks do not legally consider these secondary Americans true Americans. Or in other words they assit them in hiding their securities.

The American Citizens Abroad (organization) has been fighting this really hard but so far they have gotten no where, when your country bails out banks they need to collect money from all over, and when it comes to money or rights the first Americans to f*cked over by America is the ones living abroad. The United States did the math and found that they could collect an average of 39 Billion more USD per year taxing Americans who do not live in the US.

The worse part of this is how it affects the AA's (accidental Americans), which includes children born to at least one American parent (so never file for that ITIN or you f*ck your kids), children born in the United States (on holiday, work trip, border jumping, what ever born in the US then you are at the very least an AA). These children when they become of age to pay US taxes can be taxed. If they do not pay they can suffer fines, assets taken or even sent to the US and locked up in jail.

Now the G7 is one of those fine print type of gathering, so all these countries who signed this agreed to all terms. So they support sending someone to jail (worse case) who has never even seen the US all because they where born to an American and did not know they needed to learn US tax law in thier mother country so they do not get banged up.

Read the Act, it can be down loaded all over the net, its about 2300 pages long. It is one of those Acts that would make the Taliban feel sorry for the Americans. But when the US needs to save or take the first thing they do is look towards their people living abroad.

Ivan you are correct in your analogy. I got a phone call from good old Uncle Sam the first year that I moved to the UK. They had sent me a letter and my mother opened the letter and read it out to me. So i called Uncle Sam on the phone and they wanted to know where there taxes were and why I had not filed taxes? So needless to say it did not work out in my favor.

My daughter was born here in the UK and for that reason I won't get her American citizenship as the system of tax law is against everything the founding fathers of America had in mind. My daughter has not been registered as an American or got a social security card etc. Not going to push that on her. I will wait until she gets old enough to understand the consequences.

Funny enough there is no recognized status as dual national. The US does not accept such thing. They allow people to do it but any immigration lawyer who understands US law would tell you that there is no such thing as dual national. Inside the US passport it states that you could lose your citizenship if you swear allegiance to a foreign power.

Do you remember Michelle Bachman? She ran for president. She had a Swiss Passport as she was married to a Swiss man and her children had Swiss and US citizenship. She was forced to decided what she was. American or Swiss. She politely dropped the Swiss Passport but she had no chance to win the elections after all.

What's funny is that as an American your not entitled to social security unless you have worked in the last six months in the US of A. This is according to the US embassy in London. So who really knows.

I don't see how it can go on like this without the people standing up to the government. So for me it may become an option that I have to explore later on. That is giving up my citizenship. My life is here now and I don't see going back to live any time soon.

I will check out the resource you suggested but I can't promise I have it finished in a month may take a bit more time as i just bought five more books.

Best Regards

tapmaster

I have just finished Erik Prince's recent expose on 'Blackwater' ... Civilian Warriors! Interesting... worth a read for the guys who were there at the time. For me? it also confirms issues on pay rates at the time..!

CD

'The nemesis file' by Paul Bruce, it's been in my bookcase for years and I read it when it came out. Only to find out that this fella is a Walt of the highest degree!!!

American Sniper by Chris Kyle is my next one, great guy that came to a sad end. I've read it twice already but I like his style.

By the way I watched that movie 'NOAH' last night but before I did I googled it to see if it would be any good, came across a Yahoo answers page where someone was asking the same question, his first reply was someone saying, and I quote, "it's nothing like the book" I had to smile lol.

Last edited:
Back