What Are You Reading?

Having two "Loo's" in the house I often read two books around the same time.
Just finished two favorites; "The March of Folly" by Barbara Touchman (1984) that chronicles multiple wars through history culminating with Vietnam. All of which were wars of choice.
The other "The Game of the Foxes" by Ladislas Fargo (1972) was meant to have been about how the USA won the 'Secret" War during WWII. (An amusing premise, but he is American!) Fargo had exclusive access to every Abwer file from 1938 until the war in Europe was over. The Germans being German, every file and every scrap of notes were in order. Some of the files made him wonder, who was on which side. On the very last day in 1945, the US Navy via a submarine was delivering aircraft tyres and aviation fuel to a German Uboat in mid Atlantic. Firestone Tyres and ESSO aviation fuel, both claiming that their facilities in Germany would be destroyed if they didn't supply the Nazi's. I wonder who authorised the US Navy Sub?
But even so, very interesting book. He was also surprised that every German spy dropped into the UK and Ireland were lifted by the Brits and turned. Good read...

Having two "Loo's" in the house I often read two books around the same time.
Just finished two favorites; "The March of Folly" by Barbara Touchman (1984) that chronicles multiple wars through history culminating with Vietnam. All of which were wars of choice.
The other "The Game of the Foxes" by Ladislas Fargo (1972) was meant to have been about how the USA won the 'Secret" War during WWII. (An amusing premise, but he is American!) Fargo had exclusive access to every Abwer file from 1938 until the war in Europe was over. The Germans being German, every file and every scrap of notes were in order. Some of the files made him wonder, who was on which side. On the very last day in 1945, the US Navy via a submarine was delivering aircraft tyres and aviation fuel to a German Uboat in mid Atlantic. Firestone Tyres and ESSO aviation fuel, both claiming that their facilities in Germany would be destroyed if they didn't supply the Nazi's. I wonder who authorised the US Navy Sub?
But even so, very interesting book. He was also surprised that every German spy dropped into the UK and Ireland were lifted by the Brits and turned. Good read...

I will have to look up the March of Folly, sounds interesting.

The Game of Foxes though was required reading at the uni back in the early 80's. To me it seemed to be writen based on deliberate one-sided misinformation, so there really was nothing to gist, just an opinion from someone wrapped up in the Stars & Stripes.

Not speaking ill of the Nation and everything that they have ever done, it could have just been more factual if Fargo would have taken the time to interview key Yanks, Brits, French, German, Polish at that time defected Russians and older migrated Russians. However around this frame had Fargo of done this then his book would have been regarded as Atlas Shrugged type of stuff.

It was really one sided, and I think scholarly engineered soley for US universities.

Hi all

I regularly read The Art of War (Sun Tzu) translated by Thomas Cleary, which contains 2 classical commentaries.

I highly recommend this particular book and if it is of interest here is the bar code ISBN-13: 978-1-59030-054-1

Regards

JHD

I have a copy in my loo book rack, and often randomly open it and read just that page.
Just thought I would share that with you. Any one else read in the loo?

Live as a man, die as a man, become a man.

Enson inoue.

Yamatodamashi

Great for anyone interested in martial arts (mostly the competition side of it) but also a lot of interesting aspects of Japanese culture.

Hi all

I regularly read The Art of War (Sun Tzu) translated by Thomas Cleary, which contains 2 classical commentaries.

I highly recommend this particular book and if it is of interest here is the bar code ISBN-13: 978-1-59030-054-1

Regards

JHD

I'm going to either read this next, or possibly get an audio book to listen to while driving. Thanks.

Two useful books

"Left of bang: How the Marine Corps Combat Hunter Program can save your life", by Patrick Van Horne and Jason A. Riley, is a practical book which can help you learn how to observe human behaviour in order to tell the difference between good guys, regular guys, and bad guys.

"What every body is saying: An ex-FBI Agent's guide to speed-reading people", by Joe Navarro with Marvin Karlins, is that rare thing, an effective book on body language based on current research, instead of on anecdotes.

Just finished - Devil's Guard, by George Robert Elford. If you haven't heard about this book is the story of a former German Waffen-SS officer's string of near-constant combat that begins on World War II's eastern front and continues into the book's focus—the First Indochina War, as an officer in the French Foreign Legion, Brilliant read.

Also reading Advanced Cardiac Life Support. We can never stop learning.

Just finished - Devil's Guard, by George Robert Elford. If you haven't heard about this book is the story of a former German Waffen-SS officer's string of near-constant combat that begins on World War II's eastern front and continues into the book's focus—the First Indochina War, as an officer in the French Foreign Legion, Brilliant read.

Also reading Advanced Cardiac Life Support. We can never stop learning.

I'll pick Devils Guard up. Thanks

ALCON:

I am now reading Monsoon by Wilbur Smith. This is another one of Smith's adventure stories, taking place in the reign of William and Mary, and continuing the saga of the Courtney family.

Merry Christmas to all CPW members!

Regards,

David (a Brit born in the UK, but living in the Great White North)

Last edited:
Confessions of a Doorman, Robin Barratt. Maybe I'll pick his second(or was it his first book?) - Doing the Doors.
Before that I read a few books of Geoff Thompson ("Watch my back").

Hello!

As long as there are lots of pictures I tend to get the story, I am very good at dot to dot and I never colour over the lines.

I doubt the new ****s can even read the instructions on a condom package. Certainly their parents couldn't otherwise they would have been born , to begin with.

But if you ask me , is because of the facebook..

Facebook has destroyed this forum..

Wow, no posts on this topic for over two years.... just goes to show, maybe none of the new members can read?

I doubt the new ****s can even read the instructions on a condom package. Certainly their parents couldn't otherwise they would have been born , to begin with.

But if you ask me , is because of the facebook..

Facebook has destroyed this forum..

Agreed, less effort required, quality control out the ****ing window.....the interweb is immune to natural selection

Disagree, the moderators have destroyed this forum,not enough control by them,allowing anyone and their dog to join,allowing all and sundry to take the P out of the questionnaire at registration or application to join forum and what is the point of having mods who cant or dont bother to interact with members? That is only a small part of the failings,Facebook should have been used as a tool for enhancing this forum.Fail.

Problem as I see it is, there has been a brain drain, the quality has all but gone!
Some still remain we lurk in the background and some only look in without posting....
OJ , Rich H and a few others spring to mind!
The forum is/has gone to shit, I have started mostly using PM or the good old fashioned telephone to keep in touch with the members that have something I want to discuss or hear.

Regards

premier

Back