Does your house have a CCTV camera anywhere?

its well worth spending a couple of hundred on a decent camera and a time lapse recorder.if you do have problems with local yobs damaging cars etc then make sure you get a time/date stamped bit of kit.it makes in much more useable in court.check out ebay as loads of second hand stuff sells everyday for little money.dark areas go for black and white and well lit go for colour.not always but most times!

I have more than one, some of which are conected to motion detectors which send a text to my mobile on activation. I can then 'dial in' to the cctv system from my laptop...

And do secrete the recorder!

In UK your large-scale threat is from unsophisticated chavs, who are very alert to CCTV hence hoods and baseball caps, and they will steal any tapes they find n VCR's just in case they're security tapes. Your small-scale threat depends on your profile, or directed attack (in which case enlist neighbours for look-in coverage instead of look-out) or enlist help of professionals.

If analogue camera, then get hold of an old but competent VHS (ebay?) recorder, put it in the loft or wherever and set it up to roll-over record for slightly longer than you'll generally be away.

If you are away Mon - Fri, set it for seven-day recording, just leave it running and change tapes monthly (after four uses, because they do wear out).

If digital, an old PC for fifty quid will do just the same job but probably with higher storage capacity dependent upon HDD. Again, secrete it. MK

I personally have one camera at home installed by myself and probably will install one more.

Main reason - I have played too much with cameras at work :)

Yep, 4 cameras, digital recorder, panic alarm direct to alarm company, 2 rottwiellers and a Yorkshire Terrier.....just in case...well, you can't be too careful...no burglaries to date, but my dogs live in hope!

Yep; we have one on the front of the house as we are on the main road into the village and the cars are parked on the drive out front. Digital, linked to the house alarm system.

PIR/security lighting to the rear; the garden is totally enclosed.....with 4 dogs running loose, 3 ESS, not the most vicious but boy do they make a noise if anyone comes near and a Patterdale thats more than happy to attack.

Geovision 16 channel main DVR, about 10 or so (it can vary) cams connected at anyone time, but have more. Visimetrics 8 channel backup DVR for backup of main cams.

Some mobile DVRS which I will connect up when I get some spare time and a clear head. Lots of cams, from cheap b&w, to top end day/nights, and a ptz dome also.

Infra-red lighting (seperate, a uniflood led) out back, with spares for installing elsewhere, again when I get time and energy ;)

Spare single channel dvr and multiplexor for emergency, or prolonged time away from house as a third backup.

grin well i have a few cameras . Have a hidden 3 megapixel at my front door, another 3 megapixel cam covering my parking and yet another covering road access :) . All on alert and connection to the net, quite fun checking the footage on my mobile phone when im in a 3g area :)

My dad has one.... he swears by it....usually when it isn't working!!

He does have his facing his back yard that has a very dark alley running by it, and he has caught a few ppl being erm friendly late of an evening on it.....Could be why he has it actually.

We don't really need one..... the neighbours are so nosey they make a surveillance team look amateurish, but will invest in some when we move house

Have a Geovision 1240 pc based system (Superb), have a couple of hi res day night cameras around the perimeter of the house, dog out the back, and a decent scantronic alarm system with an elmedene bell box to wake the dead, because I'm worth it!.

Hi all,

Newbie to the forum here but a bit of experience with domestic CCTV ranging from single camera VCR set up, now using a networked avtech DVR for remote monitoring and recording of 4 camera system using mix of cameras inc, panasonic, vista and sharp cameras and also have some experience with IP cameras.

Main use of the system is remote verification of house alarm trigger (autodialer to my mobile) and deterent effect.

Cheers

Mike

So what's the problem? If you are not clear about how to use or set up, or have some other troubles need help, please contact us.

You need to specify your issues...Many people here are willing to help you troubleshoot.

Here is for your reference: http://www.cctvhotdeals.com :)

another spam post for the same firm, are they employing people to go round spamming forums or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
November 2009 update
At least 4 covert cameras one/ two dvr with as big a hard drives as possible.
Second DVR hidden in property, ADSL link with sever for backup, high quality B/W cameras all round 0.00005 lux level, all hard wired. Full continuous frame rate record minimum 25fps per camera. External Pir triggered LED lights. All the cameras should either be pointing within your boundary or in a public space and never in someone else’s garden unless pre agreed with them in advance (recommended this is done in writing).
Do not buy a 24hr VCR, you will kick yourself when it kicks off and the quality is crap.
I am always available for advice dwormy@hotmail.com. (15 years technical surveillance officer home office quaified)

Back