A Beginners Guide to becoming a Close Protection Officer

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks

thanks for the info
im new to all this chat room stuff, iv completed a cp course and am still enlisted in the irish defence forces (8 years now)
im looking for contract work in iraq-afghan, im finding it hard to get info on compinies and positions availible. iv alot of qualifications (weapons, explosives ect.) courses done through work. so hopefully i shouldnt have that much trouble in gettin work.

any extra info, compinies u can pass on to me
will be greatly appreciated

hoping to hear from u soon
thanks rob74

Theory revision pre course

Preparation prior to a course

Personally I find this an important aspect. I was quite surprised when I was involved in running a course the amount of people that did no prior reading before joining a course. Some even had fanciful notions about the work which is why I have outlined some of the work above. A good training company will give you some pre reading before attending but you can also get books on the subject as well as research either via the internet or from people that you may have connected with that work in the industry. You are lucky in this respect as if you are reading this then you have come to a site that has a wealth of information which was not around when I first started to research into the industry with people that are willing to help each other with their experiences.

The theory itself is based on logical systems and common sense. It is possible to learn what you need for the exam prior to the course with the right material. I think this is the best piece of advice I could give as it allows you to concentrate on the practical aspects of the course and really enjoy it without the worry of being bogged down with theory. Another factor is that peoples long term memory is normally more efficient than their short term memory, so learning theory a while before will actually increase your ability to get excellent marks in the exam.

HI NOMAD, MANY THANKS FOR THAT USEFULL INFO, I AM CURIOUS AS TO WHETHER YOU KNOW OF ANY BOOKS OR WEBSITES WHERE I CAN REVISE THE THEORY SIDE OF A COURSE,I HAVE ORDERED THE ADVANCED SURVEILLANCE MANUAL FROM ISS,AS I AM GOING TO COMPLETE THE ARGUS EUROPE CP AND SURVEILLANCE COMBINED COURSE, ANY HELP OR INFORMATION BY YOURSELF OR ANY OTHER MEMBER IS GREATLY APPRECIATED

KIND REGARDS
JLOVEDAY

New edition? He's already released this again including the SIA licensing.

Is he re-writing it again?

Rich H

Rich - Maybe that is the version I am thinking of, Pete did say a few months agohe has a revised edition of the book that was due to be printed. I have the copy that was current last year.

BTW how is your book coming along?

Peter - Can you confirm the new edition is in print now? If it is can you send me one for my perusal?

Rich - Maybe that is the version I am thinking of, Pete did say a few months agohe has a revised edition of the book that was due to be printed. I have the copy that was current last year.

BTW how is your book coming along?

Peter - Can you confirm the new edition is in print now? If it is can you send me one for my perusal?

The question is; If there is an updated one will it have the ammended reaction to attack drills to correct the terrible, (old), advice given in the previous versions?

Mine is taking a back seat for a few months.

Rich H

hey im new to the cp world, i left the army after 4 and a half years. i gained the rank of lance corporal, and also am a badged sniper and advanced driver qual as i was the CO driver. i have worked in bosnia and afghanistan, alll though i have all this behind me, im only 21 in oct. and havent got the funds to go on alot of these courses, can anyone reccomened any type of funding, apprenticships maybe? any advice would be a god send, cheers. Dave.

hey im new to the cp world, i left the army after 4 and a half years. i gained the rank of lance corporal, and also am a badged sniper and advanced driver qual as i was the CO driver. i have worked in bosnia and afghanistan, alll though i have all this behind me, im only 21 in oct. and havent got the funds to go on alot of these courses, can anyone reccomened any type of funding, apprenticships maybe? any advice would be a god send, cheers. Dave.

you are entitled to £1000 worth of enhanced learning credits a year for 10 years after leaving the army, so take advantage of these, call your former regiment and speak to your RCMO and he should be able to tell you more, if you check certain company websites they will tell you whether they are under the ECAS or ELC scheme

good luck
jloveday
2 RIFLES
AFGHANISTAN

Based on the thread title, i would like to add:

Do NOT lie on your CV. Recently i have had 2 people lie on their CV about attending our courses. Whilst flattering, please note that often prospective employers will vet.

One person attended a lecture and stated they had attended a course, the other inquired about a course, registered for a course, canceled but still wrote they had attended the course.

Never ever lie on your CV, interview or anything else.

Another point and pet peeve. Write in English if that's what's required. Use punctuation, use a spell check and use capital's where needed.

m

need help getting in to HE CP industry

hellow i am 17 and are looking to go in to the cp industry my dream job was to go in to the army. But unfortunatly i found out i am diabetic:mad::(, and was wondering after i have my cp licence would i have a chance of doing a job in a HE with the experence i have i am a army cadet instructor i have 3 diffrent black belts in diffrent martial arts and eger personality. please help and if you think i could how should i go about it? thank you:D

For a start you are EXTREMLEY young for the profession, you don't have the basic asked for 4 or 7 years military service (sure someone will correct me here as i am not sure i think its certainly over 4). Not to upset your dreams here but it is highly unlikely that you would get into HE work. The list of very professional people with all the right quals and much much more is unending. It CAN happen but it is VERY unlikely i am afraid, but that doesn't mean it CAN'T happen as there are some very good operators who have never had any military service out there, but they are few and far between, and again your age is very much against you at 17. You have to be 18 just to take a CP course and thats just to start with

Excellent post Nomad, really helped me, I'm completely new to this site.
I'm 20 years old and not ex military, I'm a university student, I have just completed my SIA doorman course and am interested in doing the CPO course later in 2010, Ive been doing a lot of research and really find this field interesting, what is the employment like for a young student from a non military background?

Last edited:
Great insight into the industry and for someone like myself who is just starting out exactly what was needed.

Cheers!

Excellent post Nomad, really helped me, I'm completely new to this site.
I'm 20 years old and not ex military, I'm a university student, I have just completed my SIA doorman course and am interested in doing the CPO course later in 2010, Ive been doing a lot of research and really find this field interesting, what is the employment like for a young student from a non military background?

The employment prospects are crap for ex-mil and very experienced guys as well.
Keep the studying up and look for a less flooded market.

Heard a parable tale once.

There were 4 top executives from the Gas Board driving around a Gas Plant, thinking of ideas to save money and expend with unnecessary works.
All of a sudden they spied a guy digging a hole in the middle of the carpark.
They went across in the hope of proving a point and asked.
''Excuse us, Why are you digging this hole in the carpark, chappy''

''Because I didn't pass my 11 plus'' he replied.

Study hard, youngun, and study long.
Get a good degree and find a good profession, with prospects.
The CP world has a long way still to fall, before it recovers, stick with the DS work for fun, if you wish, but do it properly.
I'm one of the lucky ones, but I wish I'd studied more and maybe gone the Medic route.
Best of luck in all that you do.

Hello Nomad,
thank you for you support and this has to be one of the most informative articles I have read. I wish I had a guide like this before I became a CPO so I was alert not to do the mistakes I did (but I learned - lol).

Hello Nomad,
Thanks for what ought to be considered as the 'bible' by all those with any questions about the CP world . Very well worth reading for anyone interested in the CP route . An invaluable guide to the new entrants , of which I am one . It answered a lot of my own questions and confirmed to me that , within realistic parameters, I would be well suited, both temprementaly and in aptitude , for Close Protection .
I am not inexperienced in the security world , having used my SIA door license to it's full advantage over the years, across a wide spectrum of jobs including clubs , events , residential protection, film sets , TV sets , festivals , concerts, private parties , celebrity driving , corporate conferences , and more .
I would very much like to take the next step into CP , UK only , working the corporate & celebrity/entertainment areas . I'll leave all the hot, sandy stuff to you young 'uns !
I've been told by CPers' I've been teamed up at various events that my maturity and experience would 'probably' go down well with certain agencies , but there's the big question , and I'll be asking it elsewhere on the site?
Age ? Is there any point in a guy like me , well experienced with military, ( RAF Regiment . Favorite weapon ? SLR ...) and security background covering a fairly wide scope , but now over 50 , going down the CP route ?
Before you start , no , I'm not a tub of lard in a pilot shirt . I'm very fit , still pretty lean , intelligent to a degree standard with a keen eye and mind , a broad range of life knowledge and experience with people , with well honed driving skills and a good helping of common sense . I also have a winning smile and all my own teeth !
Quite seriously, I've looked into the courses available and have the monies to do them . I just need to get on with it . I have a fairly good reputation amongst those that use me so there will be work for me doing what I already do if it falls flat, but I'd like to up my game . Try another area or at least get a licence for doing what I've done with others to a certain extent already , albeit unofficially .
It's the age thing . Is it worth it ? I've had varying opinions . I'd like yours , and anyone elses' that might be out there with either a view or personal experience .
Thanks again for the effort you've gone to to help others . Much appreciated as you can see by your response . I look forward to your opinion , if any .
Cheers!

A very good post, Im new to the Cp world amd will be fully licenced towards the end of November. The hard part looks like finding the work.

Is is it best to become part of a team?

Or work alone.

Everyone says networking is the best way..but i find its only as good as the other people willing to reply and help... Im not asking for jobs to be gifted...but a point in the right direction would help..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back